Microsoft, Apple sued for offering online updates
The lawsuit focuses on Web-enabled software update technology
IDG News Service - London-based BTG PLC announced today that it has filed suit against Microsoft Corp. and Apple Computer Inc. for allegedly infringing a patent that covers Web-enabled software update technologies.
BTG has filed the lawsuit in the U.S. Federal Court in the Northern District of California in conjunction with New York-based Teleshuttle Corp. and Teleshuttle Technologies LLC, the holders of the patent that BTG said is being infringed. BTG holds the worldwide licensing rights to the patent.
The lawsuit charges Microsoft and Apple with infringement of U.S. Patent No. 6,557,054, alleging that their operating systems, as well as Microsoft Office products, incorporate the patented technologies.
The lawsuit asks for unspecified damages for past infringing activity and an injunction against future use of the technology.
BTG said it filed the lawsuit because Microsoft and Apple were causing "delay in entering into licensing agreements with BTG on commercially reasonable terms."
In June, BTG said it was actively negotiating with a number of unnamed software vendors about licensing programs to remedy what BTG saw as an infringement of its patents.
- Big Data, Big Mess: Sound Risk Intelligence Through Complete Context This paper examines the insecurity of the small businesses in the supply chain and offers tips to close those backdoors into the enterprise.
- Using Cyber Insurance and Cybercrime Data to Limit Your Business Risk This paper examines the challenges of understanding cyber risks, the importance of having the right cyber risk intelligence, and how to use this...
- 5 Tips to Secure Small Business Backdoors in the Enterprise Supply Chain This paper examines the insecurity of the small businesses in the supply chain and offers tips to close those backdoors into the enterprise.
- Confront consumerization with convergence Virtualization expert Elias Khnaser spotlights the security, compliance, and governance issues that arise when enterprise users "consumerize" with shadow IT and public cloud...
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All Gov't Legislation/Regulation White Papers | Webcasts