MySQL, SAP Plot Upgrade Of Open-Source Database
MaxDB to get 64-bit capabilities
Computerworld - SAP AG and development partner MySQL AB are readying an upgrade to SAP's open-source database that will add support for 64-bit computing, along with new monitoring and management features.
SAP inked a deal with open-source database vendor MySQL in May 2003 to take over much of the development, support and marketing of the SAP DB software, which MySQL renamed MaxDB.
Zack Urlocker, vice president of marketing at Uppsala, Sweden-based MySQL, last week said the two companies are working on a MaxDB 7.6 upgrade that's due by year's end.
The new version will run on additional operating systems, including 64-bit Linux and HP-UX, and support the Java-based Eclipse development framework, he said. It will also include support for MySQL Proxy, a stand-alone program that lets MySQL's namesake software share information with other databases.
The performance boost that should come with 64-bit support is of interest to Charlie Brann, SAP administrator at Swisslog TransLogic Corp., as are the automated monitoring and management features.
Denver-based Swisslog uses SAP DB 7.3 to support its R/3 ERP system and other applications. Brann said the maker of materials-handling systems is considering an upgrade to SAP's mySAP ERP software and a migration to MaxDB 7.6.
MaxDB is currently used in about 6,000 installations, Urlocker said. MySQL and SAP announced a commercial version last November as an alternative to the free release that SAP includes with its business applications. Pricing starts at $49 per named user on single-CPU systems.
Charles Garry, an analyst at Meta Group Inc., said he doesn't see MaxDB at user sites very often, but he frequently discusses the technology with his clients.
IT managers at many large companies are reluctant to deploy the database because they think it's more appropriate for midsize users looking to cut costs, Garry said.
Read more about Business Intelligence/Analytics in Computerworld's Business Intelligence/Analytics Topic Center.
- Data Visualization Techniques: From Basics to Big Data with SAS Visual Analytics This paper discusses some of the basic issues concerning data visualization, from data size and column composition, to solving unique challenges presented by...
- Best Practices in SAS Data Management for Big Data Big data trends and related technologies are becoming important to organizations of all types and sizes. This paper introduces the most important technologies...
- Fast and Furious: How SAS VA Helps IT Deliver BI Platform Read this whitepaper to learn more about the benefits of self-service BI to make business critical decisions.
- Understanding Big Data Quality for Maximum Information Usability In this paper we examine some of the challenges presented by managing the quality and governance of big data, and how those can...
- Cloud BI in Action: Recorded Webinar of Customer, Kony, Inc. See how Kony, Inc., a leading enterprise mobility company, is using TIBCO Jaspersoft for Amazon Web Services and Redshift to achieve embedded analytics...
- Cloud BI Overview: Jaspersoft for AWS Check out this overview of Jaspersoft for AWS, to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as embed visualizations and analytics... All Business Intelligence/Analytics White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!