MySQL, SAP Plot Upgrade Of Open-Source Database
MaxDB to get 64-bit capabilities
Computerworld - SAP AG and development partner MySQL AB are readying an upgrade to SAP's open-source database that will add support for 64-bit computing, along with new monitoring and management features.
SAP inked a deal with open-source database vendor MySQL in May 2003 to take over much of the development, support and marketing of the SAP DB software, which MySQL renamed MaxDB.
Zack Urlocker, vice president of marketing at Uppsala, Sweden-based MySQL, last week said the two companies are working on a MaxDB 7.6 upgrade that's due by year's end.
The new version will run on additional operating systems, including 64-bit Linux and HP-UX, and support the Java-based Eclipse development framework, he said. It will also include support for MySQL Proxy, a stand-alone program that lets MySQL's namesake software share information with other databases.
The performance boost that should come with 64-bit support is of interest to Charlie Brann, SAP administrator at Swisslog TransLogic Corp., as are the automated monitoring and management features.
Denver-based Swisslog uses SAP DB 7.3 to support its R/3 ERP system and other applications. Brann said the maker of materials-handling systems is considering an upgrade to SAP's mySAP ERP software and a migration to MaxDB 7.6.
MaxDB is currently used in about 6,000 installations, Urlocker said. MySQL and SAP announced a commercial version last November as an alternative to the free release that SAP includes with its business applications. Pricing starts at $49 per named user on single-CPU systems.
Charles Garry, an analyst at Meta Group Inc., said he doesn't see MaxDB at user sites very often, but he frequently discusses the technology with his clients.
IT managers at many large companies are reluctant to deploy the database because they think it's more appropriate for midsize users looking to cut costs, Garry said.
Read more about Business Intelligence/Analytics in Computerworld's Business Intelligence/Analytics Topic Center.
- IDC Report: Optimize IT and Business Gains This IDC Whitepaper outlines how CIOs can understand what the "total cost of data" is across their entire organization and how Delphix can...
- Operationalizing the Buzz: Big Data 2013 The 2013 EMA/9sight Big Data research surveyed 259 business and technology stakeholders around the world.
- The Big Data Security Analytics Era Is Here New security risks and old security challenges often overwhelm legacy security controls and analytical tools.
- Building an Intelligence-Driven Security Operations Center The openness of today's networks and the growing sophistication of advanced threats make it almost impossible to prevent cyber attacks and intrusions.
- Charting Your Analytical Future - "Making predictive analytics part of your business processes" Webinar This session will show how predictive analytics can be used throughout the organization by anyone looking for answers and how organizations can make...
- Capturing Data in Motion: Delivering Real-Time Insight from Data Streams This webcast will help organizations of all types and sizes learn about a technology and business strategy for tapping into the wealth of... All Business Intelligence/Analytics White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!