MySQL, SAP Plot Upgrade Of Open-Source Database
MaxDB to get 64-bit capabilities
Computerworld - SAP AG and development partner MySQL AB are readying an upgrade to SAP's open-source database that will add support for 64-bit computing, along with new monitoring and management features.
SAP inked a deal with open-source database vendor MySQL in May 2003 to take over much of the development, support and marketing of the SAP DB software, which MySQL renamed MaxDB.
Zack Urlocker, vice president of marketing at Uppsala, Sweden-based MySQL, last week said the two companies are working on a MaxDB 7.6 upgrade that's due by year's end.
The new version will run on additional operating systems, including 64-bit Linux and HP-UX, and support the Java-based Eclipse development framework, he said. It will also include support for MySQL Proxy, a stand-alone program that lets MySQL's namesake software share information with other databases.
The performance boost that should come with 64-bit support is of interest to Charlie Brann, SAP administrator at Swisslog TransLogic Corp., as are the automated monitoring and management features.
Denver-based Swisslog uses SAP DB 7.3 to support its R/3 ERP system and other applications. Brann said the maker of materials-handling systems is considering an upgrade to SAP's mySAP ERP software and a migration to MaxDB 7.6.
MaxDB is currently used in about 6,000 installations, Urlocker said. MySQL and SAP announced a commercial version last November as an alternative to the free release that SAP includes with its business applications. Pricing starts at $49 per named user on single-CPU systems.
Charles Garry, an analyst at Meta Group Inc., said he doesn't see MaxDB at user sites very often, but he frequently discusses the technology with his clients.
IT managers at many large companies are reluctant to deploy the database because they think it's more appropriate for midsize users looking to cut costs, Garry said.
Read more about Business Intelligence/Analytics in Computerworld's Business Intelligence/Analytics Topic Center.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The value of smarter oil and gas fields With global energy requirements continuing to rise, the exploration, development and production of new oil and gas resources are shifting to increasingly challenging...
- Smarter Environmental Analytics Solutions: Offshore Oil and Gas Installations Example This IBM Redbooks® Solution Guide describes a solution for implementing smarter environmental monitoring and analytics for oil and gas industries. The solution implements...
- Piecing Together the Business Intelligence Puzzle Business intelligence (BI) technology collects and analyzes company data, delivering relevant information to corporate decision-makers in an effort to produce favorable outcomes.
- Harness IT -- An Introduction to Business Intelligence Solutions Learn the key selection criteria required to provide your organization with the capability to address structured data, unstructured data and mobile demands so...
- Live Webcast Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- The Software-Defined Data Center: Is your ADC ready? Data center transformation is accelerating beyond virtualization to next-generation cloud architectures and software-defined data centers, bringing new challenges for application performance, scalability and...
- Application Acceleration: Optimize the End-User Experience Watch this on-demand webcast and learn how you can optimize your web content, accelerate performance across any device and browser combination, and offload... All Business Intelligence/Analytics White Papers | Webcasts