Computerworld - Wireless Security Wake-up Call
A global survey of 100 financial services companies, including 31 of the top 100, drew these answers from respondents:
- 33% said they have issued employee guidelines for safe use of WLANs.
- 45% said they have scanned networks to detect rogue WLAN access points.
- 59% said they have instituted WLAN security policies.
Source: Deloitte & Touche LLP, 2004
- Secure Architectures With OpenBSD, by Brandon Palmer and Jose Nazario; Addison Wesley, 2004.
OpenBSD is the poster child for secure production operating systems. The team that wrote it takes a paranoid approach to the default configuration. For example, the compiler defaults to include buffer overflow protection in every program compiled.
This code might be one of the safest on the planet, but many OpenBSD advocates come across as wide-eyed and paranoid.
Certainly, most companies will continue to buy less-secure operating systems. But this book might change the minds of a few users who have been put off by OpenBSD's reputation as difficult to master. It's well written by authors who don't seem to suffer the over-the-top passions of other OpenBSD advocates.
This book could be just the thing to turn your computer into a well-protected system. It covers everything from setting up and using the system to developing under OpenBSD -- and it had the answer to every question I had when setting up a test OpenBSD system.
-- Vince Tuesday
Read more about Security in Computerworld's Security Topic Center.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Radicati: Cloud Business Email - Market Quadrant 2013 Google was named the top cloud business email provider in a recent report by research firm Radicati. Out of 14 key players, Google...
- Tablets in the Enterprise: A Checklist for Successful Deployment How can you enterprise manage and secure tablets in order to protect corporate data while providing access to the information and applications employees...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- Enterprise File Sync & Share Checklist File sync and share has changed the way people work and collaborate in today's tech-savvy world. Gone are the email roadblocks, clunky FTP...
- Live Webcast LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy... All Security White Papers | Webcasts