Computerworld - Wireless Security Wake-up Call
A global survey of 100 financial services companies, including 31 of the top 100, drew these answers from respondents:
- 33% said they have issued employee guidelines for safe use of WLANs.
- 45% said they have scanned networks to detect rogue WLAN access points.
- 59% said they have instituted WLAN security policies.
Source: Deloitte & Touche LLP, 2004
- Secure Architectures With OpenBSD, by Brandon Palmer and Jose Nazario; Addison Wesley, 2004.
OpenBSD is the poster child for secure production operating systems. The team that wrote it takes a paranoid approach to the default configuration. For example, the compiler defaults to include buffer overflow protection in every program compiled.
This code might be one of the safest on the planet, but many OpenBSD advocates come across as wide-eyed and paranoid.
Certainly, most companies will continue to buy less-secure operating systems. But this book might change the minds of a few users who have been put off by OpenBSD's reputation as difficult to master. It's well written by authors who don't seem to suffer the over-the-top passions of other OpenBSD advocates.
This book could be just the thing to turn your computer into a well-protected system. It covers everything from setting up and using the system to developing under OpenBSD -- and it had the answer to every question I had when setting up a test OpenBSD system.
-- Vince Tuesday
Read more about Security in Computerworld's Security Topic Center.
- 5 Ways Dropbox for Business Keeps Your Data Protected Protecting your data isn't a feature on a checklist, something to be tacked on as an afterthought. Download here to find out how...
- The Keys to Securing Data in a Collaborative Workplace Losing data is costly. IT professionals have spent years learning how to protect their organizations from hackers, but how do you ward off...
- Evaluating File Sync and Share Solutions: 12 Questions to Ask about Security File sync and share can increase productivity, but how do you pick a solution that works for you? Download to learn some important...
- The Truth About Cloud Security "Security" is the number one issue holding business leaders back from the cloud. But does the reality match the perception?
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different....
- Responding to New SSL Cybersecurity Threat The featured Gartner research examines current strategies to address new SSL cybersecurity threats and vulnerabilities. All Security White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!