Computerworld - Wireless Security Wake-up Call
A global survey of 100 financial services companies, including 31 of the top 100, drew these answers from respondents:
- 33% said they have issued employee guidelines for safe use of WLANs.
- 45% said they have scanned networks to detect rogue WLAN access points.
- 59% said they have instituted WLAN security policies.
Source: Deloitte & Touche LLP, 2004
- Secure Architectures With OpenBSD, by Brandon Palmer and Jose Nazario; Addison Wesley, 2004.
OpenBSD is the poster child for secure production operating systems. The team that wrote it takes a paranoid approach to the default configuration. For example, the compiler defaults to include buffer overflow protection in every program compiled.
This code might be one of the safest on the planet, but many OpenBSD advocates come across as wide-eyed and paranoid.
Certainly, most companies will continue to buy less-secure operating systems. But this book might change the minds of a few users who have been put off by OpenBSD's reputation as difficult to master. It's well written by authors who don't seem to suffer the over-the-top passions of other OpenBSD advocates.
This book could be just the thing to turn your computer into a well-protected system. It covers everything from setting up and using the system to developing under OpenBSD -- and it had the answer to every question I had when setting up a test OpenBSD system.
-- Vince Tuesday
Read more about Security in Computerworld's Security Topic Center.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Cybersecurity Imperatives Reinvent Your Network Security With Palo Alto Networks The Rise of CyberSecurity
- 10 Things Your Next Firewall Must do Next-Generation Firewalls Defined
- Firewall Buyers Guide Operate as the core of your network security infrastructure
- Getting Started With a Zero Trust Approach to Network Security The Traditional Approach to Network Security is Failing. View Now>>
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Endpoint Backup & Restore: Protect Everyone, Everywhere Arek Sokol from the bleeding-edge IT team at Genentech/Roche explains how he leverages cross-platform enterprise endpoint backup in the public cloud as part...
- Streamline Software Asset Management, Compose a software Management Symphony Keeping track of your organization's software is easy with effective software management solutions from CDW. View the videos in our software solutions channel
- Druva inSync: Endpoint Data Protection & Governance CLICK HERE to watch this video about protecting corporate data on laptops and mobile devices, sponsored by Druva. All Security White Papers | Webcasts