Users praise PeopleSoft software ownership program
The program, known as TOE, has cut implementation time and costs
Computerworld - LAS VEGAS -- PeopleSoft Inc.'s investment in its software ownership enhancement program is yielding results, making applications easier and cheaper to install and maintain, according to users of the company's products.
At its Leadership Summit 2004 customer event here this week, PeopleSoft touted a number of milestones it has achieved since launching the total ownership experience (TOE) program at last year's summit. The effort resulted in tools that automate the process of doing upgrades, managing customizations and modeling applications.
PeopleSoft is now halfway to reaching its goal of cutting the expenses associated with software ownership by 60% via such things as increased end-user productivity, according to Chief Marketing Officer Nanci Caldwell. The company has devoted more than 1,000 developers to the project and has already completed more than five releases that had TOE enhancements.
"There's a lot of hype in the market, and it's very reassuring we've been able to deliver what we have delivered," Caldwell said.
Among its claims around TOE, PeopleSoft said it has cut the time needed to resolve customer problems by 44%, reduced the number of steps to implement application updates by 80% and cut overall implementation time by 20%.
A half-dozen users at the Leadership Summit 2004 offered praise for TOE. At Harris Trust and Savings Bank, a regional bank based in Chicago, IT personnel expect a planned upgrade from PeopleSoft Financials Version 8.3 to 8.8 to be done in as little as eight weeks, said William Kragh, vice president of the financial control group. That speed is fairly unique in the industry, he said, contrasting it with other upgrades already under way that have now exceeded the two-year mark.
"In terms of doing business with PeopleSoft, we found when we speak the words, they listen and give you the time of day," Kragh said, noting his interest in some of PeopleSoft's other new applications, such as a tool to aid with Sarbanes-Oxley Act compliance.
Kragh wasn't alone in citing TOE's benefits.
"It [TOE] was a selling point," said Casey McMullen, director of IS at Agri Beef Co., a beef supplier in Boise, Idaho. While he has not yet used the tools, McMullen said, "they made us understand those tools, such as the one that keeps track of customizations and one that identifies needed upgrades."
The company went live with PeopleSoft's Enterprise Financials in January after a six-week implementation that replaced two legacy systems.
TOE has become an important part of PeopleSoft's work, said Mike Conlon, director of data infrastructure at the University of Florida in Gainesville, which runs PeopleSoft's portal and plans next monthto roll out its human resources and financials software. Conlon said the university has done a significant number of patches and upgrades around PeopleSoft, a process made easier with the diagnostic tools that identify and manage customizations.
He said he is also interested in implementing the change assistant tool that helps IT staff understand what patches are needed for a given version of PeopleSoft software.
Read more about Applications in Computerworld's Applications Topic Center.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- ERP in the Cloud and the Modern Business View IDC's White Paper, to review IDC CloudTrack Survey findings, gain expert insight into the challenges and opportunities the cloud presents, and determine...
- Oracle ERP Cloud Service - Back-Office Solutions that Keep You in Front Learn how you can harness the power of the cloud to run your business more effectively and lower upfront costs.
- Integration with Oracle Fusion Financials Cloud Service While moving your financial system to the cloud may seem straightforward, truly realizing the advantages of the cloud requires a complete understanding how...
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Video Stream Quality Impacts Viewer Behavior This scientific white paper, using statistical data from Amakai's streaming network, analyzes how changes in video quality cause changes in viewer behavior. All Applications White Papers | Webcasts