CA World to focus on integration software, customer reassurances
Users are concerned about the company's recent management shake-up
Computerworld - As Computer Associates International Inc. heads into its annual global user conference later this month, it faces serious user concerns about the soundness of the company and its leadership.
In an interview with Computerworld yesterday, Mark Barrenechea, CA's senior vice president for product development, acknowledged that those concerns will be top of mind among users at the conference, and that the company will use the forum to address them. Also high on the agenda will be the unveiling of an initiative to integrate management functions horizontally across product lines for security, storage, operations and software application life-cycle management, Barrenechea said. The initiative is designed to help customers lower the total cost of ownership for systems and network management products, he said.
Barrenechea confirmed that former CEO Sanjay Kumar, now CA's chief software architect, won't be giving a keynote address as previously planned; That role will go instead to Kenneth Cron, a CA director who is now interim CEO. Nor will guest keynote speaker Madeleine Albright, the former U.S. secretary of State, appear. Albright cited personal reasons for withdrawing from the event, according to CA officials (see story).
Barrenechea also clarified Kumar's role as chief software architect, saying that he now has no operational or managerial responsibilities. Instead, Kumar will have more time to "speak to customers and guide software strategy," he said. He called Kumar "brilliant and world-class and one of our best assets" and said Kumar will be available to speak to customers at CA World even though he is no longer delivering a keynote speech.
Despite promising technology announcements, customers visiting CA World in Las Vegas will primarily want to hear about CA's soundness, Barrenechea said.
"Certainly, I think the top issue will be the state of the company, [which is] top of mind for everyone and a fair question," he said. Cron, who was appointed on Apil 26 (see story), "brings a lot of maturity ... a lot of stability ... understands the macro aspects of the marketplace and is providing fantastic interim leadership for us. [He will] be speaking very directly about the company."
Barrenechea said the accounting problems stemmed from reporting irregularities in 2000 and 2001 and didn't involve phony revenues. "Our statement [from April 26] showed that it was simply a matter of timing ... though very serious. All our business was real."
Other CA officials last week described an audit showing that $2.2 billion in revenue was booked prematurely by quarter within fiscal 2000 and 2001, in which 35-day months were used to time revenue recognition.
On a positive financial note,
- Five Steps to Achieve Success in your Application Security Program This white paper provides a general framework your organization can use to create or build upon an application security program. It includes guidelines...
- Unlock the Value of Enterprise Mobility Download this guide and learn how to manage the secure deployment of enterprise mobile apps and data, while still encouraging the levels of...
- Rebranded Quadmark revamps its IT solutions with Google Apps Switching to Google Apps halved Quadmark's IT admin costs while achieving 10% time savings per employee. The global consulting firm now spends 80%...
- Manufacturing Outlook: Improving time to market, operational effectiveness and innovation in a highly competitive environment An enterprise project portfolio management solution can help manufacturers position themselves in the new competitive landscape.
- Live Webcast
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Video Stream Quality Impacts Viewer Behavior This scientific white paper, using statistical data from Amakai's streaming network, analyzes how changes in video quality cause changes in viewer behavior.
- Service-Enabling CICS Applications: Best Practices This informative webcast provides an informed, thorough look into CICS service-enablement options and how they can affect your environment. You'll learn how to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts