Sidebar: In-House Expertise Key to Open-Source Effort
Computerworld - The biggest advantage Weather.com has going for it as it migrates to an all-open-source architecture is its people. The company has a highly creative and dedicated group of 23 IT experts, according to those involved in the project.
"We don't have a big team, but the people we have are all good problem-solvers," says Tim Bolser, director of applications development at Weather.com. "These are people who just eat up any problem you give them. You can give it to them on a Friday, and they solve it over the weekend," he says.
In fact, it was thanks to the creativity of individual IT staffers that Weather.com came to appreciate the value of Tomcat open-source application server software. Several staffers had been experimenting with Tomcat on their development machines even though Weather.com was using IBM's WebSphere application server software on its Web site at the time.
They could do so because IT managers not only allow, but encourage, developers to use the software tools that work best for them, rather than force them to adhere to a corporate standard.
"Our management philosophy is based on the fact that good technical people are also highly creative. I like to build an environment where they feel they have a say in things," says Bolser. "Sure, there are certain [technical] requirements, but when you can give technical people some leeway, it makes for a better working environment."
Weather.com's technical staffers are also tinkerers by nature, notes Joey Reynolds, senior system administrator-supervisor. "Every individual here has done work with Linux, either playing around with it at home or on live applications," he says. And much of their expertise comes from work experience, not just training programs, he says.
Another advantage is that "almost 90% of the people here also know one another" from previous jobs, says Reynolds. "We value that greatly."
Staff recruiting was done through informal channels. "Our recruitment is a lot by word of mouth," Reynolds explains. "Most of these people have all worked with one another somewhere else. There's the advantage of knowing just who you're bringing aboard."
Read more about Applications in Computerworld's Applications Topic Center.
- Five Steps to Achieve Success in your Application Security Program This white paper provides a general framework your organization can use to create or build upon an application security program. It includes guidelines...
- Unlock the Value of Enterprise Mobility Download this guide and learn how to manage the secure deployment of enterprise mobile apps and data, while still encouraging the levels of...
- Rebranded Quadmark revamps its IT solutions with Google Apps Switching to Google Apps halved Quadmark's IT admin costs while achieving 10% time savings per employee. The global consulting firm now spends 80%...
- Manufacturing Outlook: Improving time to market, operational effectiveness and innovation in a highly competitive environment An enterprise project portfolio management solution can help manufacturers position themselves in the new competitive landscape.
- Live Webcast Best Practices: How to Improve Business Continuity with Virtualization VMware solutions include a range of business continuity capabilities to help ensure availability for applications across your virtualized environment. Learn More>>
- Live Webcast
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Live Webcast LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- Video Stream Quality Impacts Viewer Behavior This scientific white paper, using statistical data from Amakai's streaming network, analyzes how changes in video quality cause changes in viewer behavior.
- Service-Enabling CICS Applications: Best Practices This informative webcast provides an informed, thorough look into CICS service-enablement options and how they can affect your environment. You'll learn how to...