CEO Whitman to chair HP's board
Whitman joined HP in 2011 and is leading its turnaround effort
IDG News Service - Two days after Hewlett-Packard said its chairman had resigned due to ill health, the company has named a replacement: President and CEO Meg Whitman.
Whitman is now chairman of HP's board in addition to her other roles. It's a sign of HP's confidence in Whitman as she continues a multiyear effort to get the lumbering Silicon Valley giant back on track.
Whitman replaces Ralph Whitworth, an activist investor who was made interim chairman of HP last year but resigned Tuesday, reportedly suffering from cancer.
HP also said Pat Russo, a former CEO of Alcatel-Lucent and an HP board member since 2011, has become HP's lead independent director. And HP named a new board member, Klaus Kleinfeld, the CEO of metals giant Alcoa,
Whitman joined HP's board in early 2011 and was made president and CEO later that year. She was tasked with getting the company back on track after a difficult year under Leo Apotheker, who came in to replace Mark Hurd.
Whitman was formerly president and CEO of eBay from 1998 to 2008, a job she left for an unsuccessful bid to become governor of California.
- Aberdeen Group: Marketing Analytics for Manufacturing: Forging Customer Insights There are no recalls for poor marketing. Manufacturers need to get their customer intelligence and messaging right the first time. Learn how.
- The Brave New World of Customer-Centric Manufacturing The Unique Opportunity for Manufacturers to Better Understand their Consumers
- See the Possibilities Utilizing Data Visualization Do you simply want to collect data, or do you want to derive business insights from it? What if you could quickly and...
- 5 Customers Deliver Virtual Desktops and Apps to Empower a Modern Workforce Learn how Citrix solutions helped 5 companies realize the full value of desktop virtualization through a project-by-project approach based on key business priorities.
- What Does it Take to Deliver a Superior Customer Experience? The Two Top-Rated Online Retailers, B&H Photo and Crutchfield Electronics, Share Their Secrets Discuss practical CX tools and service methods such as contact center agents and the use of realtime speech analytics to help contact center...
- Keep Servers Up and Running and Attackers in the Dark An SSL/TLS handshake requires at least 10 times more processing power on a server than on the client. SSL renegotiation attacks can readily... All IT Industry White Papers | Webcasts