CEO Whitman to chair HP's board
Whitman joined HP in 2011 and is leading its turnaround effort
IDG News Service - Two days after Hewlett-Packard said its chairman had resigned due to ill health, the company has named a replacement: President and CEO Meg Whitman.
Whitman is now chairman of HP's board in addition to her other roles. It's a sign of HP's confidence in Whitman as she continues a multiyear effort to get the lumbering Silicon Valley giant back on track.
Whitman replaces Ralph Whitworth, an activist investor who was made interim chairman of HP last year but resigned Tuesday, reportedly suffering from cancer.
HP also said Pat Russo, a former CEO of Alcatel-Lucent and an HP board member since 2011, has become HP's lead independent director. And HP named a new board member, Klaus Kleinfeld, the CEO of metals giant Alcoa,
Whitman joined HP's board in early 2011 and was made president and CEO later that year. She was tasked with getting the company back on track after a difficult year under Leo Apotheker, who came in to replace Mark Hurd.
Whitman was formerly president and CEO of eBay from 1998 to 2008, a job she left for an unsuccessful bid to become governor of California.
- The Brave New World of Customer-Centric Manufacturing The Unique Opportunity for Manufacturers to Better Understand their Consumers
- See the Possibilities Utilizing Data Visualization Do you simply want to collect data, or do you want to derive business insights from it? What if you could quickly and...
- The Future of IT: A Customer First Approach Explore how customer-first policies can make use of social, mobile and cloud technologies to give workers the freedom and flexibility they desire to...
- Aberdeen Group: Marketing Analytics for Manufacturing: Forging Customer Insights There are no recalls for poor marketing. Manufacturers need to get their customer intelligence and messaging right the first time. Learn how.
- Bringing software licenses into compliance A hospital group received a software license audit, so they called in CDW to help define and manage their software licensing status.
- Software license renewal solutions that insure compliance A large design group with a software license renewal challenge employs a software asset management (SAM) tool from CDW to insure compliance. All IT Industry White Papers | Webcasts