Facebook tests 'buy' button to let users make purchases from their feeds
Users can buy products directly from their news feeds from select advertisers
IDG News Service - Facebook is testing a "buy" button that lets users make purchases directly from their news feeds.
A limited number of small and medium-sized businesses in the U.S. are involved in the test, with the e-commerce feature available to users in Facebook's desktop and mobile versions. A participating businesses' ads include a "buy" button to purchase the item being advertised, without leaving Facebook's site.
Should the feature launch more broadly, it could help Facebook attract new businesses and further grow its already lucrative advertising sales. Facebook users, however, would have to be comfortable sharing their payment information with the social network.
Facebook said it built the feature with privacy in mind and will not share credit or debit card information with other advertisers. Users can choose whether they want to save their payment information with Facebook for future purchases.
Facebook's test of the feature follows the company's hiring of former PayPal president David Marcus to head mobile messaging efforts, aimed at the development of new features.
Facebook's API (application programming interface) lets people make payments through third-party apps, often for virtual goods. Facebook tried a physical gift selling service, but that was abandoned last year.
Twitter is also said to be developing an e-commerce service.
- Social Media in Technology: A Unified Strategy for Success Find out how social media is sparking a new era of customer and industry-understanding in technology enterprises and how industry leaders are overcoming...
- 5 Things You Didn't Know About Cloud Backup IT departments are embracing cloud backup, but there's a lot you need to know before choosing a service provider. Learn all the critical...
- What is this "File Sync" Thing and Why Should I Care About It? All of a sudden, getting a file from your work laptop to your iPad became as simple as clicking "Save." So it's no...
- The Truth About Cloud Security "Security" is the number one issue holding business leaders back from the cloud. But does the reality match the perception?
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All Social Media White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!