Tata revenue, profit grows amid strong outsourcing market
Indian outsourcer saw growth across key industries and markets
IDG News Service - Tata Consultancy Services posted strong revenue and profit growth in the second quarter, taking advantage of an uptick in the outsourcing market.
Revenue growth in the quarter came from all the industries the company addresses, except the insurance segment, which saw muted growth, TCS CEO and Managing Director N Chandrasekaran told reporters Thursday.
TCS also had strong demand from key markets like North America, Europe and the Asia-Pacific region.
The company had revenue of close to $3.7 billion in the quarter, a year-over-year increase of 16.7%, according to IFRS (International Financial Accounting Standards). Net profit was $845 million, up by 20.5% from the same quarter last year.(
The company's margins have stayed steady despite the appreciation of the rupee and a 10% wage hike, Chandrasekaran said. The company added 4,967 staff in the quarter, taking the total to 305,431 at the end of the quarter.
TCS, which is India's largest outsourcer, is benefiting from a rebound in the outsourcing industry, reflected in the signing of many new contracts.
Market intelligence firm Information Services Group said earlier this week that the global outsourcing industry had experienced its highest ever second quarter.
The ISG Outsourcing Index, a measure of commercial outsourcing contracts with annual contract value of $5 million or higher, showed that a record 340 contracts were signed in the second quarter, with most growth coming from deals valued at under $40 million annually.
Competitor Infosys reported last week that its revenue for the quarter grew 7% year on year, to $2.13 billion, while net profit grew 15% to $482 million, on the back of some large deals.
- Comprehensive Advanced Threat Defense The hot topic in the information security industry these days is "Advanced Threat Defense" (ATD). This paper describes a comprehensive, network-based approach to...
- Advanced Threat Defense: A Comprehensive Approach In this interview, Peter George, president, General Dynamics Fidelis Cybersecurity Solutions, explains why we need more than anti-malware, and what constitutes a comprehensive...
- Market Overview: Digital Customer Experience Delivery Platforms Forrester states that businesses today struggle to understand and use the tools necessary to create and manage unified, multichannel digital customer experiences across...
- The Growing Demand for Rich Media This white paper discusses how IBM Customer Experience Suite Rich Media Edition can automate rich media workflows, from collaborating with creative agencies and...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All IT Outsourcing White Papers | Webcasts