Tata revenue, profit grows amid strong outsourcing market
Indian outsourcer saw growth across key industries and markets
IDG News Service - Tata Consultancy Services posted strong revenue and profit growth in the second quarter, taking advantage of an uptick in the outsourcing market.
Revenue growth in the quarter came from all the industries the company addresses, except the insurance segment, which saw muted growth, TCS CEO and Managing Director N Chandrasekaran told reporters Thursday.
TCS also had strong demand from key markets like North America, Europe and the Asia-Pacific region.
The company had revenue of close to $3.7 billion in the quarter, a year-over-year increase of 16.7%, according to IFRS (International Financial Accounting Standards). Net profit was $845 million, up by 20.5% from the same quarter last year.(
The company's margins have stayed steady despite the appreciation of the rupee and a 10% wage hike, Chandrasekaran said. The company added 4,967 staff in the quarter, taking the total to 305,431 at the end of the quarter.
TCS, which is India's largest outsourcer, is benefiting from a rebound in the outsourcing industry, reflected in the signing of many new contracts.
Market intelligence firm Information Services Group said earlier this week that the global outsourcing industry had experienced its highest ever second quarter.
The ISG Outsourcing Index, a measure of commercial outsourcing contracts with annual contract value of $5 million or higher, showed that a record 340 contracts were signed in the second quarter, with most growth coming from deals valued at under $40 million annually.
Competitor Infosys reported last week that its revenue for the quarter grew 7% year on year, to $2.13 billion, while net profit grew 15% to $482 million, on the back of some large deals.
- Making the Move to a Cloud-Based IT Service Management (ITSM) Platform Today's mature cloud-based ITSM solutions can give you the flexibility and agility you need-without sacrificing security, stability or performance.
- A Practical Guide to Understand and Benefit from the Consumerization of IT This guide explores the realities of IT Consumerization to define challenges and opportunities. Learn best practices and get actionable recommendations.
- The New IT Explore enhanced productivity for IT staff, and seamless integration across IT operation management systems. Download now.
- The Perfect Combo: ITIL, ITSM and Social Media BMC explores how best-in-class organizations are leveraging these to drive user satisfaction and organizational success.
- Exploring Network Management Challenges and the Benefits of Outsourcing New research conducted by IDG explores the network management challenges that IT and telecom leaders face and how they are dealing with them....
- API Management: The Key to Improving the Consumer Travel Experience Join PhoCusWright's Senior Technology Analyst, Norm Rose, as he shares his insights on how travel suppliers and intermediaries can improve industry data flow... All IT Outsourcing White Papers | Webcasts