Tata revenue, profit grows amid strong outsourcing market
Indian outsourcer saw growth across key industries and markets
IDG News Service - Tata Consultancy Services posted strong revenue and profit growth in the second quarter, taking advantage of an uptick in the outsourcing market.
Revenue growth in the quarter came from all the industries the company addresses, except the insurance segment, which saw muted growth, TCS CEO and Managing Director N Chandrasekaran told reporters Thursday.
TCS also had strong demand from key markets like North America, Europe and the Asia-Pacific region.
The company had revenue of close to $3.7 billion in the quarter, a year-over-year increase of 16.7%, according to IFRS (International Financial Accounting Standards). Net profit was $845 million, up by 20.5% from the same quarter last year.(
The company's margins have stayed steady despite the appreciation of the rupee and a 10% wage hike, Chandrasekaran said. The company added 4,967 staff in the quarter, taking the total to 305,431 at the end of the quarter.
TCS, which is India's largest outsourcer, is benefiting from a rebound in the outsourcing industry, reflected in the signing of many new contracts.
Market intelligence firm Information Services Group said earlier this week that the global outsourcing industry had experienced its highest ever second quarter.
The ISG Outsourcing Index, a measure of commercial outsourcing contracts with annual contract value of $5 million or higher, showed that a record 340 contracts were signed in the second quarter, with most growth coming from deals valued at under $40 million annually.
Competitor Infosys reported last week that its revenue for the quarter grew 7% year on year, to $2.13 billion, while net profit grew 15% to $482 million, on the back of some large deals.
- The Truth About Virtual Computing for CAD If you're a user of graphics-intensive software such as 3D modeling, simulation and analysis, and visualization, you might be skeptical about moving to...
- Going Paperless? Here's What You Need to Think About As makers of some of the world's most popular PDF solutions, we often consult with businesses & governmental agencies that have the goal...
- ESG Lab Report: Virident FlashMAX Connect Performance Advantage with vCache on a single Oracle instance View Now>>
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different....
- Why Are Customers Really Deploying an NGFW? It seems every IT Security expert is talking about the NGFW, but what are people really doing? This webcast covers 5 real-world customer... All IT Outsourcing White Papers | Webcasts