NetApp Private Storage adds an Azure cloud option
Customers' own storage at collocation facilities can now link to Microsoft's cloud as well as AWS
IDG News Service - Microsoft Azure just became the next cloud connection for NetApp Private Storage, which can already link enterprise storage to Amazon Web Services.
With NetApp Private Storage (NPS), organizations store their data in collocation centers to get it close to cloud computing services. In most cases, it's on the enterprise's own storage gear, though some data-center operators provide the equipment and sell a managed service, according to Phil Brotherton, vice president of NetApp's Cloud Solutions Group.
Public cloud services such as Azure represent an alternative to in-house storage as well as to on-premises computing infrastructure, so in the long term they could prove stiff competition for NetApp's core business. But as the range of options grows, many enterprises are embracing hybrid approaches today.
NetApp launched NPS in 2012 with a version for AWS. The idea was to let enterprises use a cloud service to gain flexibility and save money on computing infrastructure but keep the data under their own control. Within a collocation center, the storage gets a fast connection to the cloud. With NPS for Microsoft Azure, that link is over Azure's ExpressRoute technology, which is designed for private paths to the cloud service that don't go over the public Internet. NetApp says ExpressRoute can offer 36 percent better performance than a VPN (virtual private network) on the public Internet.
In addition to typical enterprise workloads such as SAP and Oracle and Microsoft SQL Server databases, NPS for Azure is well-suited to testing and development, NetApp said.
NPS for Azure is available now. Equinix is the first collocation partner offering direct ExpressRoute connections from NPS to Azure.
- Warning: Cloud Data at Risk Experts agree that relying on SaaS vendors to backup and restore your data is dangerous. Yet that's exactly what huge portions of the...
- The Opportunities and Challenges of the Cloud In this report F5 poses questions to IDC analysts, Sally Hudson and Phil Hochmuth, on behalf of F5's customers to better understand the...
- 5 Hybrid Cloud Starting Points Did you know that more than 50% of organizations are already using or planning a move to hybrid cloud?
- Cloud Computing Drives IT and Business Agility Hybrid Cloud Accelerates Time to Value What is the main focus for IT in your organization - cost or agility? Many IT discussions today focus on cost controls rather...
- DevOps with PureApplication System: Reduce cost and speed delivery with an integrated IBM Cloud solution Join this webcast to hear what ING Netherlands has been able to achieve while deploying DevOps tools from IBM Rational. An ING executive...
- Why Are Customers Really Deploying an NGFW? It seems every IT Security expert is talking about the NGFW, but what are people really doing? This webcast covers 5 real-world customer... All Cloud Computing White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!