Apple and IBM in major deal to tackle corporate market
IBM will develop apps for iOS and push Apple hardware to clients
IDG News Service - Apple is making a big push for the corporate IT market through a partnership with IBM, which will develop iOS apps for its big data and analytics services and promote iPhones and iPads to clients.
The deal will see IBM, one of the industry's largest providers of corporate IT, develop more than 100 apps and services exclusively for Apple's iOS, the companies said in a statement Tuesday
It will also tailor its cloud services for iOS and provide iOS device activation, supply and management to its customers, including the ability to lease rather than buy Apple hardware.
Apple, meanwhile, will offer new AppleCare warranty services for enterprise customers that include 24-hour assistance and on-site support.
Apple CEO Tim Cook said in a statement that the partnership opens "a large market opportunity for Apple."
"This is a radical step for enterprise and something that only Apple and IBM can deliver," he said.
The first IBM apps to stem from the collaboration could be out by the fall, the companies said -- which is when Apple's iOS 8 platform is expected to launch.
Initial apps will be targeted at the retail, health care, banking, travel, transportation, telecommunications and insurance industries.
The deal with IBM could provide a significant boost for Apple in the corporate sector, potentially leading to increased wide-scale deployment of its products among workers.
IBM claims three-quarters of Fortune 100 companies use its enterprise software, and it says it has enjoyed top market share for five straight years in IDC's ranking of the world's biggest enterprise social software makers.
Martyn Williams covers mobile telecoms, Silicon Valley and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Martyn on Twitter at @martyn_williams. Martyn's e-mail address is email@example.com
- Seattle Children's Accelerates Citrix Login Times by 500% with Cross-Tier Insight Seattle Children's is a leading research hospital with a large and growing Citrix XenDesktop deployment. With ExtraHop, the IT team at Seattle Children's...
- Data Protection eGuide In this eGuide, CSO and sister publications IDG News Service, Computerworld, and CIO pull together news, trend, and how-to articles about the increasingly...
Best Practices in Enterprise Data Governance
This paper explores the challenges organizations have today in implementing a data
governance program via an actual business case. It highlights SAS technology that
- 10 Mistakes to Avoid When Launching Your DG Program From failing to define data governance, to premature launch, or expecting too much from a sponsor, this white paper explains ten common mistakes...
- The Key to Happiness: Throw out Your Data Warehouse In this webinar, Kerry Reitnauer, Director, Solution Architect at FairPoint Communications will discuss the challenges the data warehouse brought, how they migrated to...
- Building Tomorrow's Data Center with Converged Technologies A number of forces are converging: the cloud, converged infrastructure, big data and fabric architectures to name a few. All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!