Apple and IBM in major deal to tackle corporate market
IBM will develop apps for iOS and push Apple hardware to clients
IDG News Service - Apple is making a big push for the corporate IT market through a partnership with IBM, which will develop iOS apps for its big data and analytics services and promote iPhones and iPads to clients.
The deal will see IBM, one of the industry's largest providers of corporate IT, develop more than 100 apps and services exclusively for Apple's iOS, the companies said in a statement Tuesday
It will also tailor its cloud services for iOS and provide iOS device activation, supply and management to its customers, including the ability to lease rather than buy Apple hardware.
Apple, meanwhile, will offer new AppleCare warranty services for enterprise customers that include 24-hour assistance and on-site support.
Apple CEO Tim Cook said in a statement that the partnership opens "a large market opportunity for Apple."
"This is a radical step for enterprise and something that only Apple and IBM can deliver," he said.
The first IBM apps to stem from the collaboration could be out by the fall, the companies said -- which is when Apple's iOS 8 platform is expected to launch.
Initial apps will be targeted at the retail, health care, banking, travel, transportation, telecommunications and insurance industries.
The deal with IBM could provide a significant boost for Apple in the corporate sector, potentially leading to increased wide-scale deployment of its products among workers.
IBM claims three-quarters of Fortune 100 companies use its enterprise software, and it says it has enjoyed top market share for five straight years in IDC's ranking of the world's biggest enterprise social software makers.
Martyn Williams covers mobile telecoms, Silicon Valley and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Martyn on Twitter at @martyn_williams. Martyn's e-mail address is email@example.com
- Troubleshooting Common Issues in VoIP Learn more about Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), including common VoIP metrics used, best practices in VoIP management and tips and tricks for...
- IDG Research Survey: Are you Paying Too Much for Your NMS? Feel like you're paying too much for network monitoring? You're not alone. This survey brief summarizes findings from research recently fielded by IDG...
- 2013 Network Management Software (NMS) Buyers Guide This white paper contains an independent comparison study of six different network management solutions and provides guidance on how you can choose the...
- Rightsizing Your Network Performance Management Solution: 4 Case Studies This white paper discusses challenges encountered as organizations search for the most cost-effective network performance management solution.
- Tips to Simplify Database Administration and Development Make your job easier while getting the most from the leading productivity tool for database professionals. Learn tips from Dell Software's Oracle® ACE,...
- E-Signature RFP Checklist Webcast If your organization is looking to adopt e-signatures, you may be overwhelmed by the number of providers that offer seemingly similar solutions. How... All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!