AWS offers Marketplace software on annual subscriptions
The subscriptions could save users over 40% of software costs, Amazon said
IDG News Service - Amazon Web Services is offering on its Marketplace annual subscriptions to over 90 software products, which could help customers cut software costs by over 40%, the Amazon.com unit said.
Customers can purchase AWS Marketplace products on an annual subscription basis and have unlimited use of the software for that Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2) instance for the next 12 months, wrote Jeff Barr, chief evangelist for Amazon Web Services, in a blog post on Monday.
Users can apply one annual subscription to a Marketplace software product to one EC2 instance, Amazon said in its help section.
The products on offer under the annual subscription program include those from software vendors such as Alert Logic, Barracuda Networks, Citrix Systems, Fortinet, Riverbed Technology and Sophos. The new AWS Marketplace annual subscription options potentially allow capital expenditure savings of up to 40% when compared to hourly pricing over the same 12-month period, Fortinet said in a statement Monday.
AWS Marketplace offers software for developers and enterprises covering 26 categories in areas such as infrastructure, developer tools, and business applications.
The new pricing model will let users forecast more accurately software expenses when running steady-state workloads, reduce software costs by 10% to 40% or more when users purchase an annual subscription for select software products on AWS Marketplace, Barr wrote. Users can continue to pay for usage on an hourly basis in conditions where their workload is bursty, he added.
Users that are currently paying for a product on an hourly basis can convert to an annual subscription pricing by simply buying the subscription as needed, without requiring to restart the instance or re-launch the application, according to Barr.
The software on an Amazon EC2 instance can be run in any region, as long as the software is offered in that region, although prices for the EC2 instance could vary by regions, AWS said in its help section.
Users can change the instance type after contacting AWS customer support with the request. The existing annual subscription will remain valid, but the Amazon EC2 charges may vary depending on the new instance type selected, AWS said.
When the annual subscription expires, users pay at the hourly rate for the software product and instance type, if they do not buy a new annual subscription.
- Warning: Cloud Data at Risk Experts agree that relying on SaaS vendors to backup and restore your data is dangerous. Yet that's exactly what huge portions of the...
- The Opportunities and Challenges of the Cloud In this report F5 poses questions to IDC analysts, Sally Hudson and Phil Hochmuth, on behalf of F5's customers to better understand the...
- 5 Hybrid Cloud Starting Points Did you know that more than 50% of organizations are already using or planning a move to hybrid cloud?
- Cloud Computing Drives IT and Business Agility Hybrid Cloud Accelerates Time to Value What is the main focus for IT in your organization - cost or agility? Many IT discussions today focus on cost controls rather...
- DevOps with PureApplication System: Reduce cost and speed delivery with an integrated IBM Cloud solution Join this webcast to hear what ING Netherlands has been able to achieve while deploying DevOps tools from IBM Rational. An ING executive...
- Why Are Customers Really Deploying an NGFW? It seems every IT Security expert is talking about the NGFW, but what are people really doing? This webcast covers 5 real-world customer... All Cloud Computing White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!