Public parking app MonkeyParking suspends service in San Francisco
The move comes following a cease-and-desist demand from the city attorney
IDG News Service - MonkeyParking, an app that lets people bid on public parking spaces, said Thursday it will suspend its service in San Francisco to avoid a potential lawsuit from the city attorney.
The app, developed by a company in Rome, lets people bid on parking spots that other users of the app are about to vacate. It's meant to reduce the headache of finding parking, but critics said it also forced people into paying for a free public resource.
San Francisco City Attorney Dennis Herrera said the app violated local laws prohibiting people and companies from buying, selling or leasing public on-street parking. His office sent a cease-and-desist letter to the company late last month, threatening a lawsuit and fines after July 11 unless MonkeyParking shut down.
The company resisted at first, arguing it was not the spots people were bidding on, but information about their availability. It now seems to have caved in. In light of the letter, "the bidding service on MonkeyParking has been temporarily disabled in the San Francisco area," the company said in a blog post.
MonkeyParking said it was reviewing its service "to clarify our value proposition and avoid any future misunderstandings." The company said it still wants to be "a positive tool for the city of San Francisco and its inhabitants."
- Social Media Education: The New Edge for Success Failure to train for social media will cost your business money. A recent report showed how digitally prepared companies can unlock up to...
- Social Media in Technology: A Unified Strategy for Success Find out how social media is sparking a new era of customer and industry-understanding in technology enterprises and how industry leaders are overcoming...
- How Network Connections Drive Web Application Performance Users around the globe, on all sorts of devices, expect Web applications to function as seamlessly as desktop applications. This paper discusses the...
- 5 Customers Deliver Virtual Desktops and Apps to Empower a Modern Workforce Learn how Citrix solutions helped 5 companies realize the full value of desktop virtualization through a project-by-project approach based on key business priorities.
- What Does it Take to Deliver a Superior Customer Experience? The Two Top-Rated Online Retailers, B&H Photo and Crutchfield Electronics, Share Their Secrets Discuss practical CX tools and service methods such as contact center agents and the use of realtime speech analytics to help contact center...
- Keep Servers Up and Running and Attackers in the Dark An SSL/TLS handshake requires at least 10 times more processing power on a server than on the client. SSL renegotiation attacks can readily... All Internet White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!