Public parking app MonkeyParking suspends service in San Francisco
The move comes following a cease-and-desist demand from the city attorney
IDG News Service - MonkeyParking, an app that lets people bid on public parking spaces, said Thursday it will suspend its service in San Francisco to avoid a potential lawsuit from the city attorney.
The app, developed by a company in Rome, lets people bid on parking spots that other users of the app are about to vacate. It's meant to reduce the headache of finding parking, but critics said it also forced people into paying for a free public resource.
San Francisco City Attorney Dennis Herrera said the app violated local laws prohibiting people and companies from buying, selling or leasing public on-street parking. His office sent a cease-and-desist letter to the company late last month, threatening a lawsuit and fines after July 11 unless MonkeyParking shut down.
The company resisted at first, arguing it was not the spots people were bidding on, but information about their availability. It now seems to have caved in. In light of the letter, "the bidding service on MonkeyParking has been temporarily disabled in the San Francisco area," the company said in a blog post.
MonkeyParking said it was reviewing its service "to clarify our value proposition and avoid any future misunderstandings." The company said it still wants to be "a positive tool for the city of San Francisco and its inhabitants."
- Capabilities You Need in an IP Address Management Solution A mismanaged IP space can cripple an otherwise healthy network. Take a moment to understand what you need in an enterprise-ready IPAM solution.
- IPv6 Fundamentals IPv6 is needed to sustain the growth of the Internet. The transition from IPv4 will require planning and likely some degree of support...
- 3G/4G Digital Signage Guide Today, the widespread availability of 3G and 4G cellular or wireless broadband networks enables digital signage to be deployed virtually anywhere.
- Enterprises in Motion: In-Vehicle Networks In a world where traditional tethers to the central office have all but vanished, enterprises that operate vehicle fleets require constant and dependable...
- Cloud BI in Action: Recorded Webinar of Customer, Kony, Inc. See how Kony, Inc., a leading enterprise mobility company, is using TIBCO Jaspersoft for Amazon Web Services and Redshift to achieve embedded analytics...
- Cloud BI Overview: Jaspersoft for AWS Check out this overview of Jaspersoft for AWS, to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as embed visualizations and analytics... All Internet White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!