Infosys revenue and profit rise ahead of CEO change
SAP's former technology chief Vishal Sikka will take over as CEO of Infosys on Aug. 1
IDG News Service - Indian outsourcer Infosys said its revenue and profit grew in the second quarter as the company won some large deals in the period.
Infosys said its revenue for the quarter grew 7% year on year, to $2.13 billion. Net profit grew 15% to $482 million, according to International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS).
The company has forecast revenue growth of between 7% to 9% for its fiscal year ending March 31, 2015.
Some of the deals bagged were renewals but others were also new business, CEO S. D. Shibulal told analysts on Friday. "There is demand in the industry for good talent, and we have the talent," he said.
The company said customers' discretionary spending had improved.
Infosys, which had been lagging behind Indian peers such as Tata Consultancy Services, will have a new CEO on Aug. 1, when SAP's former technology chief Vishal Sikka will take over from Shibulal.
Analysts expect Sikka to transition the company from its dependence on contracts priced around the number of workers deployed on a job to a business based more on products and technologies that can be used to address the requirements of a number of customers. Infosys has attempted the move to "non-linear growth" in revenue for some years.
One challenge Infosys faces is to stem the departure of senior managers.
Staff attrition soared to 19.5% in the year to June 30, from 16.9% a year earlier. Employee attrition rates are worrisome and the company is taking various measures to retain good talent, COO U.B. Pravin Rao said.
The company added 879 staff in the quarter, taking the total staff at the end of the quarter to 161,284.
- Aberdeen Group: Marketing Analytics for Manufacturing: Forging Customer Insights There are no recalls for poor marketing. Manufacturers need to get their customer intelligence and messaging right the first time. Learn how.
- The Brave New World of Customer-Centric Manufacturing The Unique Opportunity for Manufacturers to Better Understand their Consumers
- See the Possibilities Utilizing Data Visualization Do you simply want to collect data, or do you want to derive business insights from it? What if you could quickly and...
- SANS: Next-Generation Datacenters = Next-Generation Security This whitepaper takes a look at some new technology that may allow security teams to implement more flexible and capable protection models in...
- Is SQL Server AlwaysOn really as powerful? Tips and Tricks from the field With the introduction of AlwaysOn, Windows Clustering Services is now more critical than ever.
- What Does it Take to Deliver a Superior Customer Experience? The Two Top-Rated Online Retailers, B&H Photo and Crutchfield Electronics, Share Their Secrets Discuss practical CX tools and service methods such as contact center agents and the use of realtime speech analytics to help contact center... All IT Industry White Papers | Webcasts