Microsoft settles with No-IP after seizing its domains in botnet hunt
Microsoft 'regrets any inconvenience' caused by service outages
IDG News Service - Microsoft has reached a settlement with domain provider No-IP to disable some of its domains, after taking control of part of its network to shut down a botnet.
Microsoft in late June filed a civil suit against the U.S. domain hosting company Vitalwerks, which operates as No-IP.com, for its role in hosting malware that infected more than 7 million [m] computers.
In the course of combating the spread of the malware, Microsoft took control of more than 20 No-IP domains, knocking out service for the provider's customers, some of whom were not even affected by the malware.
Microsoft said Vitalwerks was not knowingly involved with the subdomains used for hosting the malware and the Nevada-based company took immediate action to let Microsoft track down those affected by the malware. Microsoft and Vitalwerks have agreed to permanently disable Vitalwerks' subdomains used for hosting the malware, Microsoft said.
Terms of the settlement were not disclosed. Vitalwerks did not immediately respond to comment further.
Microsoft, in its original suit, also named two foreign nationals, Mohamed Benabdellah and Naser Al Mutairi, as the creators of the software. The malware family was known as Bladabindi and Jenxcus, and was promoted via social media channels like YouTube, Microsoft said at the time.
- A More Predictable Way to Budget Software Costs Wavetronix enables creative collaboration while cost-effectively accessing all the latest tools with Adobe Creative Cloud for teams. For Wavetronix, collaboration was easy when...
- Adobe Creative Cloud for teams Security Overview This white paper describes the proactive approach and procedures implemented by Adobe to increase the security of your Creative Cloud experience and your...
- 3 Big Data Security Analytics Techniques You Can Apply Now to Catch Advanced Persistent Threats This technical white paper demonstrates how to use Big Data security analytics techniques to detect advanced persistent threat (APT) cyber attacks, and it...
- IT Security by the Numbers: Calculating the Total Cost of Protection Humorist Franklin P. Jones may have said it best: "When you get something for nothing, you just haven't been billed for it yet."...
- Live Webcast Security Vulnerabilities Associated With Having Local Administrator Privileges Viewfinity will demonstrate how removing admin rights and granularly managing privileges at the application level reduces the attack surface.
- Security Vulnerabilities Associated With Having Local Administrator Privileges Viewfinity will demonstrate how removing admin rights and granularly managing privileges at the application level reduces the attack surface.
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success! All Data Security White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!