Tip of the Hat: Samsung's warning should be no surprise
Competing on price has served Samsung well, but Ben Thompson says only Apple has the right long-term smartphone strategy
Computerworld - Samsung blamed this week's projection that third quarter profits will fall below last year's levels on a slowdown in the smartphone business and increased competition in China and Europe.
Several analysts quickly noted that Samsung's warning for the quarter -- which would be the third straight that the company has seen profits fall -- can be traced to the company's inability to differentiate its products from an ever growing list of rivals.
That key problem, contends Ben Thompson in a blog post on his Stratechery website, is similar to that facing providers of Windows-based PCs -- "the hardware maker with its own operating system that is dominating profits, while everyone else eats themselves alive to the benefit of their software master."
Computerworld offers a Tip of the Hat to Thompson for his analysis of the smartphone business, and why companies like Samsung that compete on price are likely to struggle, while Apple, with its proprietary software, will flourish by offering "software-based differentiation" on its devices.
Thompson notes that Apple's strategy of using a proprietary OS that only runs on its devices was once widely expected to kill the company. But it has proven through the years with its computers, laptops and mobile devices that the strategy is the key to its success, and will likely continue to be.
Read more about Smartphones in Computerworld's Smartphones Topic Center.
- Tips for Driving User Adoption in New Technology Deployment Read this checklist on tips for driving user adoption to see where you stand.
- Improving IT Efficiencies: Four Advantages of Multi-Tenant Data Centers Increasing demands on IT are forcing organizations to rethink their data center options. For many organizations, that means turning to the flexibility afforded...
- Accelerating Cloud Deployment and Operations with Managed Services Companies that do not have sufficient in-house expertise to either deploy or maintain an IaaS cloud should turn to Managed Service Providers .
- Rethinking IT Operations in the Cloud This paper breaks down the challenges that often prevent the cloud from delivering the fast, flexible and affordable infrastructure companies seek - and...
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All Smartphones White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!