Tip of the Hat: Samsung's warning should be no surprise
Competing on price has served Samsung well, but Ben Thompson says only Apple has the right long-term smartphone strategy
Computerworld - Samsung blamed this week's projection that third quarter profits will fall below last year's levels on a slowdown in the smartphone business and increased competition in China and Europe.
Several analysts quickly noted that Samsung's warning for the quarter -- which would be the third straight that the company has seen profits fall -- can be traced to the company's inability to differentiate its products from an ever growing list of rivals.
That key problem, contends Ben Thompson in a blog post on his Stratechery website, is similar to that facing providers of Windows-based PCs -- "the hardware maker with its own operating system that is dominating profits, while everyone else eats themselves alive to the benefit of their software master."
Computerworld offers a Tip of the Hat to Thompson for his analysis of the smartphone business, and why companies like Samsung that compete on price are likely to struggle, while Apple, with its proprietary software, will flourish by offering "software-based differentiation" on its devices.
Thompson notes that Apple's strategy of using a proprietary OS that only runs on its devices was once widely expected to kill the company. But it has proven through the years with its computers, laptops and mobile devices that the strategy is the key to its success, and will likely continue to be.
Read more about Smartphones in Computerworld's Smartphones Topic Center.
- Tips for Driving User Adoption in New Technology Deployment Read this checklist on tips for driving user adoption to see where you stand.
- SANS: Next-Generation Datacenters = Next-Generation Security This whitepaper takes a look at some new technology that may allow security teams to implement more flexible and capable protection models in...
- SANS: Protecting Virtual Endpoints with McAfee Server Security Suite Essentials SANS review of McAfees Server Security Suite Essentials that address some of the emerging challenges of securing virtual platforms and cloud environments.
- Safeguarding the Next-Generation Data Center Use of virtual and cloud servers has exploded. Unfortunately, security often lags behind. McAfee recommends looking at innovative solutions in order to erect...
- Is SQL Server AlwaysOn really as powerful? Tips and Tricks from the field With the introduction of AlwaysOn, Windows Clustering Services is now more critical than ever.
- What Does it Take to Deliver a Superior Customer Experience? The Two Top-Rated Online Retailers, B&H Photo and Crutchfield Electronics, Share Their Secrets Discuss practical CX tools and service methods such as contact center agents and the use of realtime speech analytics to help contact center... All Smartphones White Papers | Webcasts