Snowden applies for extended asylum in Russia
The Russian approval for the NSA leaker to stay in the country expires at the end of July
IDG News Service - U.S. National Security Agency whistleblower Edward Snowden has applied for extended asylum in Russia, according to news reports.
Snowden, the former NSA contractor who has leaked details of the agency's worldwide surveillance activities, will seek an extension after Russia's approval for him to stay expires on July 31, according to a Wednesday report in Russia news site RT.com.
Snowden, living in Russia for the past year, has submitted documents to "prolong his stay," said his lawyer, Anatoly Kucherena, quoted in the story.
Kucherena did not tell RT.com if Snowden was seeking a new residency status, such as Russian citizenship. A decision on Snowden's status is up to the Russia government, the lawyer said.
Snowden faces charges of espionage and theft of government property in the U.S.
Meanwhile, Snowden's leaks continue to generate news. On Wednesday, The Intercept reported that the NSA and FBI have covertly monitored the emails of prominent Muslims in the U.S. including civil rights activists, professors and lawyers.
Grant Gross covers technology and telecom policy in the U.S. government for The IDG News Service. Follow Grant on Twitter at GrantGross. Grant's email address is email@example.com.
- Using Cyber Insurance and Cybercrime Data to Limit Your Business Risk This paper examines the challenges of understanding cyber risks, the importance of having the right cyber risk intelligence, and how to use this...
- 5 Tips to Secure Small Business Backdoors in the Enterprise Supply Chain This paper examines the insecurity of the small businesses in the supply chain and offers tips to close those backdoors into the enterprise.
- Comprehensive Advanced Threat Defense The hot topic in the information security industry these days is "Advanced Threat Defense" (ATD). This paper describes a comprehensive, network-based approach to...
- Advanced Threat Defense: A Comprehensive Approach In this interview, Peter George, president, General Dynamics Fidelis Cybersecurity Solutions, explains why we need more than anti-malware, and what constitutes a comprehensive...
- Live Webcast Security Vulnerabilities Associated With Having Local Administrator Privileges Viewfinity will demonstrate how removing admin rights and granularly managing privileges at the application level reduces the attack surface.
- Security Vulnerabilities Associated With Having Local Administrator Privileges Viewfinity will demonstrate how removing admin rights and granularly managing privileges at the application level reduces the attack surface.
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to... All Cybercrime and Hacking White Papers | Webcasts