Snowden applies for extended asylum in Russia
The Russian approval for the NSA leaker to stay in the country expires at the end of July
IDG News Service - U.S. National Security Agency whistleblower Edward Snowden has applied for extended asylum in Russia, according to news reports.
Snowden, the former NSA contractor who has leaked details of the agency's worldwide surveillance activities, will seek an extension after Russia's approval for him to stay expires on July 31, according to a Wednesday report in Russia news site RT.com.
Snowden, living in Russia for the past year, has submitted documents to "prolong his stay," said his lawyer, Anatoly Kucherena, quoted in the story.
Kucherena did not tell RT.com if Snowden was seeking a new residency status, such as Russian citizenship. A decision on Snowden's status is up to the Russia government, the lawyer said.
Snowden faces charges of espionage and theft of government property in the U.S.
Meanwhile, Snowden's leaks continue to generate news. On Wednesday, The Intercept reported that the NSA and FBI have covertly monitored the emails of prominent Muslims in the U.S. including civil rights activists, professors and lawyers.
Grant Gross covers technology and telecom policy in the U.S. government for The IDG News Service. Follow Grant on Twitter at GrantGross. Grant's email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 2013 Cyber Risk Report The "Cyber risk report 2013 Executive summary" presents the major findings of HP Security Research's comprehensive dive into today's cyber vulnerability and threat...
- Cybersecurity for Dummies eBook This book provides an in-depth examination of real-world attacks and APTs, the shortcomings of legacy security solutions, the capabilities of next-generation firewalls, and...
- Who's Spying on You? You're aware of the threats of malware to your business but what about the ever-changing ground rules? Cybercriminals today are launching attacks against...
- The Threat Landscape Hardly a day goes by without the discovery of a new cyberthreat somewhere in the world! But how do you keep up with...
- Live Webcast Security Vulnerabilities Associated With Having Local Administrator Privileges Viewfinity will demonstrate how removing admin rights and granularly managing privileges at the application level reduces the attack surface.
- Security Vulnerabilities Associated With Having Local Administrator Privileges Viewfinity will demonstrate how removing admin rights and granularly managing privileges at the application level reduces the attack surface.
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success! All Cybercrime and Hacking White Papers | Webcasts