Mt. Gox CEO selling Bitcoins.com, will give some proceeds to burned investors
The domain will go on sale July 24, with an opening bid of US$185,000
IDG News Service - Mark Karpeles, CEO of the now-bankrupt Bitcoin exchange Mt. Gox, is auctioning off Bitcoins.com, a site Karpeles launched last year to provide information around the digital currency.
The domain will be sold July 24 by the U.S.-based auction house Heritage Auctions, with an opening bid set at US$185,000. The sale is expected to fetch as much as $750,000.
Mt. Gox was once the largest online exchange for buying and selling bitcoins, but was forced to file for bankruptcy earlier this year after a massive hacking incident, incurring debts of more than $63 million.
Bitcoins.com has been owned and operated by Tibanne Co., Ltd., the parent company of Mt. Gox. It is different from the singular Bitcoin.com, which is owned by Blockchain, which makes a Bitcoin wallet app.
Proceeds from the sale of Bitcoins.com will partly be used to provide relief to Bitcoin holders who lost money in the collapse of Mt. Gox, Karpeles said in a statement shared with Coindesk, a Bitcoin news site, and confirmed via email to the IDG News Service.
The money will also be used to keep Tibanne running, Karpeles said, but at least half of the sale price will be paid to benefit Mt. Gox creditors.
"It is difficult for us at this time to provide a more accurate figure," he said.
A number of other online exchanges like Coinbase and Circle have raised millions of dollars from prominent investors like Andreessen Horowitz, which could give them the cash to buy up Mt. Gox's domain. That is, if they want to.
- 6TB Oracle Ecommerce Stack Deployed on AWS in 7 Days A Fortune 1000 company was told that it would take more than 6 months to deploy their ecommerce stack on AWS. CloudVelocity deployed...
- Improving IT Efficiencies: Four Advantages of Multi-Tenant Data Centers Increasing demands on IT are forcing organizations to rethink their data center options. For many organizations, that means turning to the flexibility afforded...
- Accelerating Cloud Deployment and Operations with Managed Services Companies that do not have sufficient in-house expertise to either deploy or maintain an IaaS cloud should turn to Managed Service Providers .
- Rethinking IT Operations in the Cloud This paper breaks down the challenges that often prevent the cloud from delivering the fast, flexible and affordable infrastructure companies seek - and...
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All E-business White Papers | Webcasts