EMC acquires cloud storage management company TwinStrata
EMC will embed TwinStrata's CloudArray into its new VMAX3 enterprise data service platform
IDG News Service - Storage vendor EMC has scooped up cloud storage management company TwinStrata, the companies announced Tuesday.
The U.S.-based TwinStrata is the developer of CloudArray, a platform that allows enterprises to move their on premise stored data into over 20 public or private clouds. Data put on CloudArray is encrypted by default and automatically gets replicated or moved to a cloud service depending on a company's requirements.
EMC plans to embed CloudArray into its new VMAX3 enterprise data service platform, helping companies get access to infrequently access cloud data for lower costs, EMC said.
Terms of the deal were not disclosed.
VMAX3, launched by EMC on Tuesday, builds on its VMAX enterprise storage platform and aims to help IT departments regain control of a company's whole storage infrastructure. The arrival of public cloud services allowed enterprises to bypass IT, adding risks by placing a company's data outside of IT's control, EMC said. VMAX3 should help return control to IT while maintaining the flexibility offered by public cloud services, it added.
TwinStrata will continue offering its services to current customers as usual, but now with a bigger global brand behind it, TwinStrata CEO Nicos Vekiarides said on the company's website.
Loek is Amsterdam Correspondent and covers online privacy, intellectual property, open-source and online payment issues for the IDG News Service. Follow him on Twitter at @loekessers or email tips and comments to email@example.com
- Warning: Cloud Data at Risk Experts agree that relying on SaaS vendors to backup and restore your data is dangerous. Yet that's exactly what huge portions of the...
- The Opportunities and Challenges of the Cloud In this report F5 poses questions to IDC analysts, Sally Hudson and Phil Hochmuth, on behalf of F5's customers to better understand the...
- 5 Hybrid Cloud Starting Points Did you know that more than 50% of organizations are already using or planning a move to hybrid cloud?
- Cloud Computing Drives IT and Business Agility Hybrid Cloud Accelerates Time to Value What is the main focus for IT in your organization - cost or agility? Many IT discussions today focus on cost controls rather...
- DevOps with PureApplication System: Reduce cost and speed delivery with an integrated IBM Cloud solution Join this webcast to hear what ING Netherlands has been able to achieve while deploying DevOps tools from IBM Rational. An ING executive...
- Why Are Customers Really Deploying an NGFW? It seems every IT Security expert is talking about the NGFW, but what are people really doing? This webcast covers 5 real-world customer... All Cloud Computing White Papers | Webcasts