Universal Apps: Microsoft's bid to bring mobile developers back to Windows
Microsoft's messy mobile strategy and incompatible platforms have frustrated would-be app developers. Can Universal Apps stop the rot?
Infoworld - By most accounts, Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella has inherited a mess in the form of Microsoft's mobile strategy. Moreover, 14 years since then-CEO Steve Ballmer's infamous "developers, developers, developers" chant, Microsoft has confused, frustrated, and in some cases alienated developers with its multiple incompatible development platforms, in particular around mobile devices.
Microsoft's recent introduction of Universal Apps attempts to tackle both challenges at once. By enabling developers to build apps that target both Windows Phone devices and Windows 8 tablets, Microsoft aims to clear the air with developers, provide the means for unifying its mobile experience across devices, and jump-start its mobile app ecosystem.
[ Download InfoWorld's Developers' Survival Guide for all the tips and trends programmers need to know. | Windows 8 left you blue? Then check out Windows Red, InfoWorld's plan to fix Microsoft's contested OS. | Microsoft's new direction, the touch interface for tablet and desktop apps, the transition from Windows 7 -- InfoWorld covers all this and more in the Windows 8 Deep Dive PDF special report. | Stay atop key Microsoft technologies in our Technology: Microsoft newsletter. ]
It's a tall order, but it might be a step in the right direction for a company that sorely needs it.
The woeful state of the Windows mobile app market
To continue reading, register here to become an Insider
It's FREE to join
- HTTP Status Code Cheat Sheet Look at the Graph, Find the Code and Boom - You're Solving Problems. Identifying and understanding common HTTP status codes can go a...
- 10 Steps to Application and Network Performance Nirvana 10 simple steps that network operations teams can take to ensure that applications and underlying infrastructure can both be tuned for maximum performance.
- Application Performance Management for Dummies Application performance management helps deliver the application performance users and the business demand. Effectively monitoring and troubleshooting application performance issues requires a comprehensive...
- IDC Report: Optimize IT and Business Gains This IDC Whitepaper outlines how CIOs can understand what the "total cost of data" is across their entire organization and how Delphix can...
- API Management: The Key to Improving the Consumer Travel Experience Join PhoCusWright's Senior Technology Analyst, Norm Rose, as he shares his insights on how travel suppliers and intermediaries can improve industry data flow...
- Tips to Simplify Database Administration and Development Make your job easier while getting the most from the leading productivity tool for database professionals. Learn tips from Dell Software's Oracle® ACE,... All App Development White Papers | Webcasts