Universal Apps: Microsoft's bid to bring mobile developers back to Windows
Microsoft's messy mobile strategy and incompatible platforms have frustrated would-be app developers. Can Universal Apps stop the rot?
Infoworld - By most accounts, Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella has inherited a mess in the form of Microsoft's mobile strategy. Moreover, 14 years since then-CEO Steve Ballmer's infamous "developers, developers, developers" chant, Microsoft has confused, frustrated, and in some cases alienated developers with its multiple incompatible development platforms, in particular around mobile devices.
Microsoft's recent introduction of Universal Apps attempts to tackle both challenges at once. By enabling developers to build apps that target both Windows Phone devices and Windows 8 tablets, Microsoft aims to clear the air with developers, provide the means for unifying its mobile experience across devices, and jump-start its mobile app ecosystem.
[ Download InfoWorld's Developers' Survival Guide for all the tips and trends programmers need to know. | Windows 8 left you blue? Then check out Windows Red, InfoWorld's plan to fix Microsoft's contested OS. | Microsoft's new direction, the touch interface for tablet and desktop apps, the transition from Windows 7 -- InfoWorld covers all this and more in the Windows 8 Deep Dive PDF special report. | Stay atop key Microsoft technologies in our Technology: Microsoft newsletter. ]
It's a tall order, but it might be a step in the right direction for a company that sorely needs it.
The woeful state of the Windows mobile app market
To continue reading, register here to become an Insider
It's FREE to join
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- Adobe Creative Cloud FAQ The following are answers to common questions about Adobe® Creative Cloud™ for teams membership, purchasing, security, and storage.
- What's coming to Adobe Creative Cloud Editing and video content creation workflows are about to get easier and more exciting, with major updates coming soon to Creative Cloud, bringing...
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different....
- Why Are Customers Really Deploying an NGFW? It seems every IT Security expert is talking about the NGFW, but what are people really doing? This webcast covers 5 real-world customer... All App Development White Papers | Webcasts