Mobile phones, other devices under higher scrutiny at airports
Electronic devices that cannot be turned on will not be allowed onboard aircraft, according to new U.S. rules
IDG News Service - The U.S. Transportation Security Administration has said it may ask air travelers headed to the U.S. on direct flights to power up some electronic devices, including cell phones, as part of enhanced security measures at certain airports abroad.
Under the regulations announced Sunday, powerless devices will not be permitted on board the aircraft and the traveler may also undergo additional screening, TSA said.
The new measures come in the wake of reports that terrorists are working on using electronic devices as bombs. TSA did not provide specific reasons why the new measures were being introduced. "As the traveling public knows, all electronic devices are screened by security officers," it said in a statement.
Jeh Johnson, secretary of Homeland Security, said last week that the TSA had been directed to introduce enhanced security measures in the coming days at certain overseas airports with direct flights to the U.S. "DHS continually assesses the global threat environment and reevaluates the measures we take to promote aviation security," Johnson said in a statement.
The TSA did not disclose the airports abroad where the restriction on powerless electronic devices will come into force.
- Platfora Big Data Analytics for Network Security Platfora amplifies the effectiveness of network security analysis, providing Big Data Analytics capability to augment existing security infrastructure for known threats, and advanced...
- Storage Performance with Cost Control As IT groups expand their server virtualization initiatives, central storage performance can become the bottleneck and create poor end user experience.
- Server-side Caching for the VMware Admin vExpert David Davis weights in on how best-in-class server-side caching solutions can drastically improve storage performance and reduce latency without the addition of...
- What Does it Take to Deliver a Superior Customer Experience? The Two Top-Rated Online Retailers, B&H Photo and Crutchfield Electronics, Share Their Secrets Discuss practical CX tools and service methods such as contact center agents and the use of realtime speech analytics to help contact center...
- Keep Servers Up and Running and Attackers in the Dark An SSL/TLS handshake requires at least 10 times more processing power on a server than on the client. SSL renegotiation attacks can readily... All Cyberwarfare White Papers | Webcasts