VMware opens testing of next-gen vSphere to all
The product is expected to be unveiled at VMworld in August
IDG News Service - VMware is for the first time inviting anyone to beta test the next version of vSphere, the company's virtualization platform.
The company is hoping to learn more about how organizations use vSphere under real-world conditions and test cases, it said. As VMware has expanded beyond server virtualization to set its sights on the whole datacenter, it has become more important for the company to get feedback from a larger group.
To lure enterprises, VMware is pitching the vSphere Beta program as a way to get a head start and a chance to affect product development. Those who take part will also get to collaborate with other participants, learning about their use cases, and share feedback, VMware said.
This is an interesting change in policy for VMware, according to virtualization expert Marcel Van Den Berg. Microsoft always has been very open about Hyper-V upgrades, lettingA the public download beta versions. VMware, on the other hand, has preferred to keep features and even the release number of new versions of vSphere secret until the product is unveiled at the VMworld conference, he said in a blog post Wednesday.
While VMware is opening up the beta to a wider audience the company still aims to keep functionality secret until the successor to vSphere 5.5 is launched. To download the beta, users have to agree not to talk about the product with anyone who isn't taking part in the program.
The vSphere Beta program has no end date, but VMware strongly encourages feedback in the first four to six weeks of the program, it said. The U.S. edition of this year's VMworld, at the Moscone Center in San Francisco, will open its doors on Aug. 24.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Considerations For Effective Software License Management For many reasons, software license management has become a critical issue for many IT organizations and enterprise's alike. With many licensing options, hurdles...
- Vblock™ Specialized System for High Performance Databases Learn how Vblock™ Specialized Systems have been designed to deliver high performance in the millions of IOPS - with millisecond response times.
- Innovating Cloud Backup with Veeam Veeam leverages virtualization and cloud technologies to innovate and protect the modern data center.
- Virtualization Best Practices Guide Whether you're running applications on physical or virtual machines, you still need to stay vigilant to guard against the constant and growing hazard...
- Building Tomorrow's Data Center with Converged Technologies A number of forces are converging: the cloud, converged infrastructure, big data and fabric architectures to name a few.
- Virtual Desktop Must-haves: Cost-effectiveness, Scalability and Security Employees today expect to take their work anywhere and on any device. This BYOD mindset poses a dilemma for organizations that want to... All Virtualization White Papers | Webcasts