VMware opens testing of next-gen vSphere to all
The product is expected to be unveiled at VMworld in August
IDG News Service - VMware is for the first time inviting anyone to beta test the next version of vSphere, the company's virtualization platform.
The company is hoping to learn more about how organizations use vSphere under real-world conditions and test cases, it said. As VMware has expanded beyond server virtualization to set its sights on the whole datacenter, it has become more important for the company to get feedback from a larger group.
To lure enterprises, VMware is pitching the vSphere Beta program as a way to get a head start and a chance to affect product development. Those who take part will also get to collaborate with other participants, learning about their use cases, and share feedback, VMware said.
This is an interesting change in policy for VMware, according to virtualization expert Marcel Van Den Berg. Microsoft always has been very open about Hyper-V upgrades, lettingA the public download beta versions. VMware, on the other hand, has preferred to keep features and even the release number of new versions of vSphere secret until the product is unveiled at the VMworld conference, he said in a blog post Wednesday.
While VMware is opening up the beta to a wider audience the company still aims to keep functionality secret until the successor to vSphere 5.5 is launched. To download the beta, users have to agree not to talk about the product with anyone who isn't taking part in the program.
The vSphere Beta program has no end date, but VMware strongly encourages feedback in the first four to six weeks of the program, it said. The U.S. edition of this year's VMworld, at the Moscone Center in San Francisco, will open its doors on Aug. 24.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
- 5 Customers Deliver Virtual Desktops and Apps to Empower a Modern Workforce Learn how Citrix solutions helped 5 companies realize the full value of desktop virtualization through a project-by-project approach based on key business priorities.
- Top 10 Reasons to Strengthen Information Security with Desktop Virtualization Regain control and reduce risk without sacrificing business productivity and growth
- IDC MarketScape: Worldwide Client Virtualization Software 2013 Vendor Assessment IDC has placed Citrix in the 2013 IDC MarketScape Leaders Category once again noting that, "Citrix's position reflects the company's market leadership and...
- Infographic: Top Use Cases for Desktop Virtualization A wide range of business issues is driving IT toward desktop virtualization. One solution-Citrix XenDesktop with FlexCast technology-helps IT teams empower their entire...
- Building Tomorrow's Data Center with Converged Technologies A number of forces are converging: the cloud, converged infrastructure, big data and fabric architectures to name a few.
- Virtual Desktop Must-haves: Cost-effectiveness, Scalability and Security Employees today expect to take their work anywhere and on any device. This BYOD mindset poses a dilemma for organizations that want to... All Virtualization White Papers | Webcasts