Infoworld - Docker is an open source framework that provides a lighter-weight type of virtualization, using Linux containers rather than virtual machines. Built on traditional Linux distributions such as Red Hat Enterprise Linux and Ubuntu, Docker lets you package applications and services as images that run in their own portable containers and can move between physical, virtual, and cloud foundations without requiring any modification. If you build a Docker image on an Ubuntu laptop or physical server, you can run it on any compatible Linux, anywhere.
In this way, Docker allows for a very high degree of application portability and agility, and it lends itself to highly scalable applications. However, the nature of Docker also leans toward running a single service or application per container, rather than a collection of processes, such as a LAMP stack. That is possible, but we will detail here the most common use, which is for a single process or service.
[ First look: Docker 1.0 is ready for prime time | Prove your expertise with the free OS in InfoWorld's Linux admin IQ test round 1 and round 2. | Subscribe to InfoWorld's Data Center newsletter to stay on top of the latest developments. ]
Thus, in this guide, we'll install the Apache Web server into a Docker container and investigate how Docker operates along the way.
To continue reading, register here to become an Insider
It's FREE to join
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- Adobe Creative Cloud FAQ The following are answers to common questions about Adobe® Creative Cloud™ for teams membership, purchasing, security, and storage.
- What's coming to Adobe Creative Cloud Editing and video content creation workflows are about to get easier and more exciting, with major updates coming soon to Creative Cloud, bringing...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All App Development White Papers | Webcasts