Microsoft to resume email-based security notifications
The next security notifications will go out Thursday ahead of monthly security patches
IDG News Service - Microsoft has backtracked on a plan to stop sending email-based notifications about security bulletins starting this month.
The company informed its customers Friday that beginning Tuesday it would no longer send security-related notifications via email because of "changing governmental policies concerning the issuance of automated electronic messaging."
The decision would have affected notifications about upcoming security bulletins, security bulletin summaries, new security advisories, and revisions to security bulletins and advisories.
"In lieu of email notifications, you can subscribe to one or more of the RSS feeds described on the Security TechCenter website," Microsoft said at the time.
Even though the company didn't reveal what specific governmental policies led to its decision, there was speculation that the reason might be a new Canadian antispam law that goes into effect today and carries penalties as high as $1 million for individuals and $10 million for businesses.
Regardless of the cause, Microsoft seems to have sorted out the problem and has decided to restore the notification service.
The company reviewed its processes after announcing the change and will keep sending the email notices, it said Monday.
- Troubleshooting Common Issues in VoIP Learn more about Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), including common VoIP metrics used, best practices in VoIP management and tips and tricks for...
- 2013 Network Management Software (NMS) Buyers Guide This white paper contains an independent comparison study of six different network management solutions and provides guidance on how you can choose the...
- Rightsizing Your Network Performance Management Solution: 4 Case Studies This white paper discusses challenges encountered as organizations search for the most cost-effective network performance management solution.
- Global Growing Pains: Tapping into B2B Integration Services to Overcome Global Expansion Challenges A recent survey by IDG Research explored both the challenges and pain points companies face when growing globally, as well as the capabilities...
- E-Signature RFP Checklist Webcast If your organization is looking to adopt e-signatures, you may be overwhelmed by the number of providers that offer seemingly similar solutions. How...
- Cloud and Collaboration: Driving Your Business Value Mission Critical Cloud from Peer 1 Hosting is enterprise-grade. All Security White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!