Microsoft to resume email-based security notifications
The next security notifications will go out Thursday ahead of monthly security patches
IDG News Service - Microsoft has backtracked on a plan to stop sending email-based notifications about security bulletins starting this month.
The company informed its customers Friday that beginning Tuesday it would no longer send security-related notifications via email because of "changing governmental policies concerning the issuance of automated electronic messaging."
The decision would have affected notifications about upcoming security bulletins, security bulletin summaries, new security advisories, and revisions to security bulletins and advisories.
"In lieu of email notifications, you can subscribe to one or more of the RSS feeds described on the Security TechCenter website," Microsoft said at the time.
Even though the company didn't reveal what specific governmental policies led to its decision, there was speculation that the reason might be a new Canadian antispam law that goes into effect today and carries penalties as high as $1 million for individuals and $10 million for businesses.
Regardless of the cause, Microsoft seems to have sorted out the problem and has decided to restore the notification service.
The company reviewed its processes after announcing the change and will keep sending the email notices, it said Monday.
- Mobile First: Securing Information Sprawl Learn how the partnership between Box and MobileIron can help you execute a "mobile first" strategy that manages and secures both mobile apps...
- Cybersecurity Imperatives: Reinvent your Network Security The Rise of CyberSecurity
- Surescripts Case Study- Securing Keys and Certificates Surescripts implemented Venafi's Trust Protection Platform™ to secure digital keys and certificates, ensure the privacy and confidentiality of electronic clinical information for its...
- Ponemon 2014 SSH Security Vulnerability Report According to research by the Ponemon Institute, 3 out of 4 enterprises have no security controls in place for SSH which leaves organizations...
- Responding to New SSL Cybersecurity Threat The featured Gartner research examines current strategies to address new SSL cybersecurity threats and vulnerabilities.
- Deep Dive into Advanced Networking and Security with Hybrid Cloud Security and networking are among the top concerns when moving workloads to the cloud. VMware vCloud® Hybrid Service™ enables you to extend your... All Security White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!