Apple deals $50-$100 store gift cards for back-to-school promo
Educational discounts on the hardware also apply
Computerworld - Apple today began its annual back-to-school promotion in the U.S., reprising a gift card deal for customers who buy eligible hardware.
Customers who buy a Mac between now and Sept. 9 receive a $100 App Store gift card, while those who purchase an iPad, iPad Mini or iPhone receive a $50 card.
This was the fourth year running that Apple has handed out gift cards and maxed the amount of the offer at $100. But the monetary value of Apple's back-to-school offers was once higher: For several years ending in 2010, Apple had given rebates of two or three times as much toward the purchase of an iPod Touch.
Unlike last year, however, when the gift cards were good only for purchases at Apple's various app stores, this year the cards can be redeemed for items bought at the company's online and retail stores.
The promotion gives parents of current college students and incoming freshmen, and teachers and staff members of all grade levels -- including K-12 -- the $100 gift card when they buy a new iMac, Mac Pro, MacBook Pro or MacBook Air.
The following iPads and iPhones are eligible for the $50 gift card: iPad Air, iPad with Retina, iPad Mini with Retina, iPad Mini, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5C and iPhone 5S. While this was the third year that iPads qualified, it was the first for the iPad Air and iPad Mini with Retina, two models that debuted last fall.
Educational discounts for eligible buyers apply, Apple said. Those discounts range from $30 for all iPads to $300 for a top-end Mac. There are no educational discounts for iPhones, even ones purchased at full price without a carrier contract.
MacBook Airs are discounted by $50 for parents of students and for faculty and staff. The discounts on other products are $100 to $200 on MacBook Pros, $50 to $100 on iMacs and $200 to $300 on Mac Pros.
Apple is running similar deals in other markets, including Canada, where the gift card values run from $55 to $110; the U.K., where the cards come in £30 and £60 denominations; and Germany, where the promotion awards €35 to €70 for app purchases.
Details of the U.S. promotion can be found on Apple's website (download PDF).
Gregg Keizer covers Microsoft, security issues, Apple, Web browsers and general technology breaking news for Computerworld. Follow Gregg on Twitter, at @gkeizer, and on Google+, or subscribe to Gregg's RSS feed . His email address is email@example.com.
- Apple unwraps OS X Yosemite public beta Thursday
- Apple grows Mac sales by 18% on the back of the MacBook Air
- Want an Apple watch? Just 3D print one
- What to listen for during Apple's earnings call today
- Mac sales will again outstrip industry average
- Apple, IBM spell out enterprise support for iPhone, iPad
- Timeline: How Apple's iOS gained enterprise cred
- Apple and IBM: A winning combo for IT
- Why Microsoft isn't spooked by the Apple-IBM alliance
- Apple-IBM deal threatens Android's enterprise push
Read more about Macintosh in Computerworld's Macintosh Topic Center.
- Comprehensive Advanced Threat Defense The hot topic in the information security industry these days is "Advanced Threat Defense" (ATD). This paper describes a comprehensive, network-based approach to...
- Advanced Threat Defense: A Comprehensive Approach In this interview, Peter George, president, General Dynamics Fidelis Cybersecurity Solutions, explains why we need more than anti-malware, and what constitutes a comprehensive...
- Market Overview: Digital Customer Experience Delivery Platforms Forrester states that businesses today struggle to understand and use the tools necessary to create and manage unified, multichannel digital customer experiences across...
- The Growing Demand for Rich Media This white paper discusses how IBM Customer Experience Suite Rich Media Edition can automate rich media workflows, from collaborating with creative agencies and...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All Macintosh White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!