Google launches 'cookie choices' site to let Europeans know how they're being tracked
With code, publishers can incorporate data notifications into their sites
IDG News Service - Google has launched a new site, CookieChoices.org, to help visitors of European sites learn more about the digital breadcrumbs they leave behind through cookies.
The site includes code that publishers can use to incorporate notifications into their own sites and apps. The notifications could take the form of pop-up alerts or a bar at the top of the screen, ostensibly to give details like the visitor's browsing history or profile information.
People in other countries like the U.S. could see the notifications too, Google said, unless the publisher adds their own geographic restrictions.
It's not clear when exactly the site launched. Google did not immediately respond to comment.
Google's new site could give this type of information prime real estate across the wider Web. It comes amid a recent European ruling letting Europeans submit "right to be forgotten" requests to have search links to information on them removed.
CookieChoices.org is not focused on Google search results. But if enough sites make use of it, it could improve people's understanding of the massive amount of data collection that goes on behind the scenes of the Web.
- Big Data, Big Mess: Sound Risk Intelligence Through Complete Context This paper examines the insecurity of the small businesses in the supply chain and offers tips to close those backdoors into the enterprise.
- Using Cyber Insurance and Cybercrime Data to Limit Your Business Risk This paper examines the challenges of understanding cyber risks, the importance of having the right cyber risk intelligence, and how to use this...
- Top 3 Myths about Big Data Security : Debunking common misconceptions about big data security Big data represents massive business possibilities and competitive advantage for organizations that are able to harness and use that information. But how are...
- A More Predictable Way to Budget Software Costs Wavetronix enables creative collaboration while cost-effectively accessing all the latest tools with Adobe Creative Cloud for teams. For Wavetronix, collaboration was easy when...
- Live Webcast Security Vulnerabilities Associated With Having Local Administrator Privileges Viewfinity will demonstrate how removing admin rights and granularly managing privileges at the application level reduces the attack surface.
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope...
- Security Vulnerabilities Associated With Having Local Administrator Privileges Viewfinity will demonstrate how removing admin rights and granularly managing privileges at the application level reduces the attack surface. All Data Security White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!