Google launches 'cookie choices' site to let Europeans know how they're being tracked
With code, publishers can incorporate data notifications into their sites
IDG News Service - Google has launched a new site, CookieChoices.org, to help visitors of European sites learn more about the digital breadcrumbs they leave behind through cookies.
The site includes code that publishers can use to incorporate notifications into their own sites and apps. The notifications could take the form of pop-up alerts or a bar at the top of the screen, ostensibly to give details like the visitor's browsing history or profile information.
People in other countries like the U.S. could see the notifications too, Google said, unless the publisher adds their own geographic restrictions.
It's not clear when exactly the site launched. Google did not immediately respond to comment.
Google's new site could give this type of information prime real estate across the wider Web. It comes amid a recent European ruling letting Europeans submit "right to be forgotten" requests to have search links to information on them removed.
CookieChoices.org is not focused on Google search results. But if enough sites make use of it, it could improve people's understanding of the massive amount of data collection that goes on behind the scenes of the Web.
- Getting Real About Management and "Big Data" It's an exciting yet daunting time to be a security professional. Security threats are becoming more aggressive and voracious. Governments and industry bodies...
- The Big Data Security Analytics Era Is Here Security management must be based upon continuous monitoring and data analysis for situational awareness and data-driven security decisions. Organizations have entered the era...
- Transforming Information Security: Future-Proofing Processes This report provides a valuable set of recommendations from 19 of the world'd leading security officers to help organizations build security strategies for...
- How JPMorgan Chase Adopted DMARC to Stop Cyberattacks and Protect their Brand When JP Morgan Chase decided to take action against phishing attacks, the problem turned out to be much bigger than anticipated. Learn how,...
- Business-driven data protection Setting up data protection infrastructures with your organizations' core mission or business in mind is key. In this webinar, the ARCserve team will...
- Establish Cyber Resiliency: Developing a Continuous Response Architecture Many enterprises fail to proactively prepare the battlefield for a data breach by only leveraging outdated techniques that focus on the perimeter or... All Data Security White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!