Google launches 'cookie choices' site to let Europeans know how they're being tracked
With code, publishers can incorporate data notifications into their sites
IDG News Service - Google has launched a new site, CookieChoices.org, to help visitors of European sites learn more about the digital breadcrumbs they leave behind through cookies.
The site includes code that publishers can use to incorporate notifications into their own sites and apps. The notifications could take the form of pop-up alerts or a bar at the top of the screen, ostensibly to give details like the visitor's browsing history or profile information.
People in other countries like the U.S. could see the notifications too, Google said, unless the publisher adds their own geographic restrictions.
It's not clear when exactly the site launched. Google did not immediately respond to comment.
Google's new site could give this type of information prime real estate across the wider Web. It comes amid a recent European ruling letting Europeans submit "right to be forgotten" requests to have search links to information on them removed.
CookieChoices.org is not focused on Google search results. But if enough sites make use of it, it could improve people's understanding of the massive amount of data collection that goes on behind the scenes of the Web.
- Top 3 Myths about Big Data Security : Debunking common misconceptions about big data security Big data represents massive business possibilities and competitive advantage for organizations that are able to harness and use that information. But how are...
- A More Predictable Way to Budget Software Costs Wavetronix enables creative collaboration while cost-effectively accessing all the latest tools with Adobe Creative Cloud for teams. For Wavetronix, collaboration was easy when...
- Adobe Creative Cloud for teams Security Overview This white paper describes the proactive approach and procedures implemented by Adobe to increase the security of your Creative Cloud experience and your...
- 3 Big Data Security Analytics Techniques You Can Apply Now to Catch Advanced Persistent Threats This technical white paper demonstrates how to use Big Data security analytics techniques to detect advanced persistent threat (APT) cyber attacks, and it...
- Live Webcast Security Vulnerabilities Associated With Having Local Administrator Privileges Viewfinity will demonstrate how removing admin rights and granularly managing privileges at the application level reduces the attack surface.
- Security Vulnerabilities Associated With Having Local Administrator Privileges Viewfinity will demonstrate how removing admin rights and granularly managing privileges at the application level reduces the attack surface.
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different.... All Data Security White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!