Google previews Fit software development kit for health-tracking apps
The SDK will be available in a few weeks and is aimed at helping pull together data from multiple devices
IDG News Service - Google is set to release an SDK aimed at making fitness-based apps more effective by pulling in data from multiple devices.
Google Fit, as the company calls the software development kit, will be available to developers in a few weeks, Google said Wednesday at its I/O developer conference.
The problem today is that many health tracking apps are siloed in their own spaces, said Ellie Powers, product manager of Google Play. Fitness-app developers who use the Google Fit set of APIs (application programming interfaces) will be able to create software that provides a broader view of fitness activity with data from various devices, including smartwatches.
Google's new smartwatches, also announced at the conference, have sensors for fitness-tracking applications.
"Fit takes away the complexity of handling multiple sources," she said, to provide "a unified view of fitness activity."
Nike, for instance, will begin allowing other apps to access data gathered through its NikeFuel platform with Google's system.
Other partners that will be using the system include Adidas, HTC, LG and Basis, Google said.
- Why Android Wear is the new iPad
- Google answers Apple's 'Continuity' with partial measures
- Google gets into the weeds of Android Work
- Google focused on big data, real-time analysis in the cloud
- Google paves way for 64-bit Android L devices by year end
- Google looks into a future with 3D tablets, interactive animation
- What happened to smart homes, Glass and robots at Google I/O?
- Google targets business users with cloud, Docs advances
- Samsung Gear Live unveiled as latest Android Wear smartwatch
- Google trumps Microsoft's 1TB of storage with unlimited space
- Vehicles Best Practices Installation Guide With the Vehicle Best Practices Installation Guide you will learn the background on the problems and solutions as well as guidance for the...
- Use the Mobile App Mix to Choose an Enterprise App Store Strategy In this research report Gartner outlines how organizations can optimally secure, distribute, and manage mobile applications for employees and contracted workers.
- Mobile Device Management Policy Best Practices This white paper explores ten policy best-practices for secure and compliant enterprise mobility.
- Mobile Data Security: Finding the Balance Bring Your Own Device has changed the rules for corporate security on smartphones and tablets. Companies need to find the right balance in...
- Managing a Mobile Workforce Learn how this biotechnology company used a mobile device management solution to help secure data accessed by over 125 employees globally.
- Sametime 9.0 Demo Showcasing a simplified user interface for desktop, web and mobile clients, IBM® Sametime® V9.0 is energizing today's enterprise with high definition, real-time communications. All Mobile Apps White Papers | Webcasts