Google shows off Android TV, a software system for entertainment
The system lets people access a range of media content from Google Play and other services
IDG News Service - Android TV is Google's latest effort to make inroads into the smart TV market, with a software system that can be embedded into televisions and other devices to stream content.
Users will be able to stream content from their smartphones and tablets to their TVs using the system, which will also integrate with Google's Chromecast device. The company offered a look at Android TV during the Google I/O conference Wednesday in San Francisco.
Android TV will work with a number of TVs, including the 2015 HD line from Sony and Sharp. The software system will be available later this year. It was unclear if there will be a hardware component from Google for the system.
Android TV will integrate with apps, media, TV and other services from Google Play accounts and other apps such as YouTube. Users will be able to search for and access content from a remote or Android-based devices like their smartphone, or Google's new smartwatches. The interface is organized into cards that users can scroll through to find the content they want.
The system supports voice search, and games with rich graphics are also a big part of the service.
The system represents Google's growing interest in connecting a larger number of devices in people's homes. Google earlier this year acquired Nest, the Internet-connected thermostat and smoke detector company.
With Android TV, Google stands to gain new data about user's media consumption, as well as new opportunities for targeted ads.
- Why Android Wear is the new iPad
- Google answers Apple's 'Continuity' with partial measures
- Google gets into the weeds of Android Work
- Google focused on big data, real-time analysis in the cloud
- Google paves way for 64-bit Android L devices by year end
- Google looks into a future with 3D tablets, interactive animation
- What happened to smart homes, Glass and robots at Google I/O?
- Google targets business users with cloud, Docs advances
- Samsung Gear Live unveiled as latest Android Wear smartwatch
- Google trumps Microsoft's 1TB of storage with unlimited space
- Cloud Computing Drives IT and Business Agility Hybrid Cloud Accelerates Time to Value What is the main focus for IT in your organization - cost or agility? Many IT discussions today focus on cost controls rather...
- Infographic:10 Reasons to Choose vCloud Air Looking to create an agile, productive, and efficient IT environment? Read this simple infographic to learn about the benefits that VMware vCloud® Air™...
- Data Visualization Techniques: From Basics to Big Data with SAS Visual Analytics This paper discusses some of the basic issues concerning data visualization, from data size and column composition, to solving unique challenges presented by...
- 5 Hybrid Cloud Starting Points Did you know that more than 50% of organizations are already using or planning a move to hybrid cloud?
- Cloud BI in Action: Recorded Webinar of Customer, Kony, Inc. See how Kony, Inc., a leading enterprise mobility company, is using TIBCO Jaspersoft for Amazon Web Services and Redshift to achieve embedded analytics...
- Cloud BI Overview: Jaspersoft for AWS Check out this overview of Jaspersoft for AWS, to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as embed visualizations and analytics... All Personal Technology White Papers | Webcasts