Google enters smartwatch market with LG G and Samsung Gear Live
The smartwatches will be available Wednesday
IDG News Service - Google entered the hot smartwatch market Wednesday, unveiling two devices, the LG G and Samsung Gear Live.
The smartwatches, which interface with Android phones and tablets, will be available Wednesday in Google's Play store, the company said, announcing them at its Google I/O conference in San Francisco.
Both smartwatches feature a rectangular screen. Google also unveiled the Moto 360, featuring a round face, but that will launch later this summer.
The smartwatches are designed to provide easier access to many of the apps and services people already use on their smartphones. They're powered by Android Wear, a customized version of Google's mobile Android OS, but aimed at wearable devices.
The OS is designed to bring snippets of important information to the smaller screen of a wearable device rather than trying to cramming everything onto the display. Instead of Android's typical grid layout, the smartphones' functionality is based primarily around quick taps and voice commands.
They are part of Google's efforts to connect a larger number of devices, whether it's smartphones, tablets, wearables or cars.
"Users are living in a multiscreen world," Sundar Pichai, Google's senior vice president, of Android, Chrome and Google apps, said during the conference. "We want to create a seamless experience across all these connected devices."
Google is also making available a full Android Wear software development kit, to let developers build apps specifically for the smartwatches.
A special version of the Lyft app was demonstrated, showing how a user can hail a ride from the smartwatches.
There are also ways to use notes and reminders with the watches, although the system failed to work during a demonstration of a note-taking application. It successfully interpreted what a Google employee said, but it didn't record the note.
Google had been expected to launch a smartwatch at the event, having announced its Android Wear system earlier this year.
- Why Android Wear is the new iPad
- Google answers Apple's 'Continuity' with partial measures
- Google gets into the weeds of Android Work
- Google focused on big data, real-time analysis in the cloud
- Google paves way for 64-bit Android L devices by year end
- Google looks into a future with 3D tablets, interactive animation
- What happened to smart homes, Glass and robots at Google I/O?
- Google targets business users with cloud, Docs advances
- Samsung Gear Live unveiled as latest Android Wear smartwatch
- Google trumps Microsoft's 1TB of storage with unlimited space
- Enabling devices and device management for your mobility/BYOD program In this white paper, learn how to select the right mobile devices for your organization and manage them with efficiency, flexibility and security...
- Improving Business Value of WAN Optimization Want to achieve faster ROI with WAN optimization? Read the latest IDC report and discover how you can cut IT costs without compromising...
- Four Little-Known Ways WAN Optimization Can Benefit Your Organization Read this white paper to learn how far WAN optimization has come, and how to make this most of your investments by using...
- IDC ROI Infographic Trends such as evolving communication patterns, connection types, applications and bandwidth can have an impact on enterprise organizations. Learn how IT organizations can...
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to...
- It's not too late...Get Your Mobile Questions Answered Live! How can IT provide seamless and secure mobile communications and collaboration for all? Join this live Webcast as IDG asks an expert panel... All Personal Technology White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!