IT Resume Makeover: How to Avoid Selling Yourself Short
CIO - There's a time and a place for modesty and humility -- your resume isn't one of them. That's what Cheryl Lynch-Simpson, executive career coach and resume expert with Executive Resume Rescue, saw when she looked at Susan Toomey's (not her real name) resume -- a talented, highly skilled project management professional who was selling herself short.
"My first impression was that Susan was dramatically underselling herself," Lynch-Simpson says. "Susan's original resume was generic. Her summary contained content that could have been true of any candidate seeking similar roles, which is always a sign to me that she wasn't doing significant 'branding,'" Lynch-Simpson says.
A personal brand is critical to set yourself apart from other candidates vying for the same position. Making sure to hone in on unique achievements, successes, skills and knowledge is key, especially for a candidate like Toomey who, while experienced, didn't have decades of work history behind her.
To continue reading, register here to become an Insider
It's FREE to join
- Aberdeen Group: Marketing Analytics for Manufacturing: Forging Customer Insights There are no recalls for poor marketing. Manufacturers need to get their customer intelligence and messaging right the first time. Learn how.
- The Brave New World of Customer-Centric Manufacturing The Unique Opportunity for Manufacturers to Better Understand their Consumers
- See the Possibilities Utilizing Data Visualization Do you simply want to collect data, or do you want to derive business insights from it? What if you could quickly and...
- SANS: Next-Generation Datacenters = Next-Generation Security This whitepaper takes a look at some new technology that may allow security teams to implement more flexible and capable protection models in...
- Is SQL Server AlwaysOn really as powerful? Tips and Tricks from the field With the introduction of AlwaysOn, Windows Clustering Services is now more critical than ever.
- What Does it Take to Deliver a Superior Customer Experience? The Two Top-Rated Online Retailers, B&H Photo and Crutchfield Electronics, Share Their Secrets Discuss practical CX tools and service methods such as contact center agents and the use of realtime speech analytics to help contact center... All IT Industry White Papers | Webcasts