Microsoft Lync service out for some North America customers
Cause and extent of the outage not released.
Network World - Some North American Office 365 customers are without Lync service this afternoon due to an unexplained outage that started about 7 a.m., ET.
The outage has been acknowledged by the Microsoft Office Twitter account, which had this to say: "We realize some Lync users in North America are experiencing issues, we are working to resolve."
Microsoft spokespersons didn't respond immediately to requests for more information.
It's a black eye just as Lync is making dramatic gains against the major IP PBX vendors in North America.
Data released at the Enterprise Connect conference this year indicates Lync ranks 11th worldwide among IP PBX vendors, but comes in third in North America among businesses with more than 100 phone extensions.
It's a distant third, but given that the company didn't register on a survey of corporate PBX customers three years ago, the status is impressive, says Peter Hale, principal analyst with MZA, who presented the results.
"It's become a very significant player in a very short period of time." says Jerry Caron, an analyst with Current Analysis who was familiar with the survey results.
Cisco sold 44 percent of the phone extensions with Avaya pulling down 20 percent. Microsoft landed 13 percent, according to the survey.
- The New Business Case for Video Conferencing: 7 Real-World Benefits Beyond Cost-Savings This whitepaper provides insight into the value of video conferencing in today's business environment, and how organizations are using visual collaboration to find...
- 2014 Survey Report: Remote Collaboration Challenges and Strategies to Overcome Download this survey to learn what 5,000 business professionals around the world say are their biggest collaboration challenges--and discover the strategies they deploy...
- The Total Economic Impact of Polycom Voice Solutions for Microsoft Lync Download this study to learn how one organization with 24,000 Polycom voice devices and Lync Enterprise Voice achieved a 98% risk-adjusted ROI and...
- 2014 Gartner MarketScope for Group Video Systems In this MarketScope report, Gartner evaluated seven group video conferencing vendors on business model, customer experience, market responsiveness and track record, marketing execution,...
On-Demand Webcast: 7 Reasons to Choose VoIP
Thinking about a new phone system for your business?
Be sure to watch this informative webcast. Steve Strauss, small business columnist for USA...
- Top 8 Communications Tools for Small Businesses Powerful technology is available to help your small business improve its communications with customers, employees and suppliers. View this free On-Demand Webcast produced... All Unified Communications White Papers | Webcasts