Yahoo launches Aviate app for a 'smarter' Android home screen
Aviate plays a role in Yahoo's efforts in contextual search
IDG News Service - Yahoo has released an Android personalization app that could give the company a stronger foothold in mobile contextual search.
Yahoo Aviate is the product of the company's acquisition of Aviate earlier this year, through which it obtained an app for personalizing the home screen on Android phones based on what users are doing.
Aviate's app had been in closed beta. The version launched Monday is available globally for Android phones in English, with some new features.
The app's developers have been focused on organizing people's apps based on any number of signals. Walk by a gym and fitness apps might pop up. Driving in your car might bring music apps like Spotify to the fore.
Yahoo's version of the app has features to make it more useful, including alerts for weather changes, and a way to connect to conference calls with a single tap.
Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer has spoken out on the company's efforts to offer more in the way of "contextual search," with Aviate comprising a key element in that pursuit.
But Aviate exists in a crowded field of apps offering personal assistant-like functions, such as EverythingMe and EasilyDo. Plus, trying to predict what people really want is hard, and could be annoying if not done right.
Apps like Aviate also compete to a degree with Google Now, Google's mobile tool for iOS and Android that provides different information likes sports scores and news headlines based on data signals specific to the person.
- Vehicles Best Practices Installation Guide With the Vehicle Best Practices Installation Guide you will learn the background on the problems and solutions as well as guidance for the...
- Use the Mobile App Mix to Choose an Enterprise App Store Strategy In this research report Gartner outlines how organizations can optimally secure, distribute, and manage mobile applications for employees and contracted workers.
- Mobile Device Management Policy Best Practices This white paper explores ten policy best-practices for secure and compliant enterprise mobility.
- Mobile Data Security: Finding the Balance Bring Your Own Device has changed the rules for corporate security on smartphones and tablets. Companies need to find the right balance in...
- Managing a Mobile Workforce Learn how this biotechnology company used a mobile device management solution to help secure data accessed by over 125 employees globally.
- Sametime 9.0 Demo Showcasing a simplified user interface for desktop, web and mobile clients, IBM® Sametime® V9.0 is energizing today's enterprise with high definition, real-time communications. All Mobile Apps White Papers | Webcasts