Yahoo launches Aviate app for a 'smarter' Android home screen
Aviate plays a role in Yahoo's efforts in contextual search
IDG News Service - Yahoo has released an Android personalization app that could give the company a stronger foothold in mobile contextual search.
Yahoo Aviate is the product of the company's acquisition of Aviate earlier this year, through which it obtained an app for personalizing the home screen on Android phones based on what users are doing.
Aviate's app had been in closed beta. The version launched Monday is available globally for Android phones in English, with some new features.
The app's developers have been focused on organizing people's apps based on any number of signals. Walk by a gym and fitness apps might pop up. Driving in your car might bring music apps like Spotify to the fore.
Yahoo's version of the app has features to make it more useful, including alerts for weather changes, and a way to connect to conference calls with a single tap.
Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer has spoken out on the company's efforts to offer more in the way of "contextual search," with Aviate comprising a key element in that pursuit.
But Aviate exists in a crowded field of apps offering personal assistant-like functions, such as EverythingMe and EasilyDo. Plus, trying to predict what people really want is hard, and could be annoying if not done right.
Apps like Aviate also compete to a degree with Google Now, Google's mobile tool for iOS and Android that provides different information likes sports scores and news headlines based on data signals specific to the person.
- The 5 Big Lies About Going Mobile You've heard about the power of mobile to change your business. But have you realized your mobile potential? It's about much more than...
- Use the Mobile App Mix to Choose an Enterprise App Store Strategy In this research report Gartner outlines how organizations can optimally secure, distribute, and manage mobile applications for employees and contracted workers.
- The Case for Mobile Apps Today's mobile apps turn handheld devices into e-book readers, portable navigation systems, digital wallets and more. And for organizations with mobile workers, they...
- Transforming enterprise applications for mobile environments This new white paper explains how Dell Application Modernization and Development Solution Set can help you understand when to develop new mobile apps,...
- Keep Servers Up and Running and Attackers in the Dark An SSL/TLS handshake requires at least 10 times more processing power on a server than on the client. SSL renegotiation attacks can readily...
- On Demand: Mastering the Art of Mobile Content Management Mobile device usage in the enterprise has skyrocketed, and it continues to escalate. IT must answer to users who demand access to their... All Mobile Apps White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!