Dell offers software updates for improved mini PC usability
Dell's updates will make the Wyse Cloud Connect easier to use with touchscreens and remotely
IDG News Service - The first software updates to improve functionality, including enterprise use, are out from Dell for its thumb-size PC, the Wyse Cloud Connect.
The PC runs on the Android OS and can be plugged into a TV or monitor with an HDMI port. It resembles a USB stick and can mimic Android on a smartphone and tablet, but on screens up to 55 inches.
Updates announced Thursday address issues such as using the device remotely and accessing cloud services.
Dell said accessing remote desktops through Cloud Connect will become easier through support for Wyse vWorkspace software, which is already being used in Dell's Wyse thin clients. Citrix's XenDesktop and VMware's Horizon View apps will also come pre-installed.
The updates also include the Cloud Connect Controller App, which turns any Android smartphone or tablet into a keyboard or mouse for use with the mini PC. The app establishes a Bluetooth connection, and a mobile device can mimic mouse functionality through Android gestures such as swiping, dragging and pinching. The app, which can be downloaded from Google's Play Store, eliminates the need to carry a separate Bluetooth keyboard.
A new feature called Google Dynamic Touch enables the mini PC to identify touchscreen monitors and whether downloaded apps support touch. Most Android applications support touch, but the feature allows apps to support different screen sizes.
- An Insightful Approach to Optimizing Mainframe MLC Spend This paper discusses how you can penetrate the complexity of IBM mainframe MLC products and the MLC price model to gain insight into...
- Meeting the Exploding Demand for New IT Services In this eBook, explore the top trends driving the New IT for IT Service Management, and how leading organizations are evolving to focus...
- Hybrid IT-A Low-Risk Path from On-Premise to ITaaS This white paper provides a strategy to move part or all of your ITSM suite to the cloud as a stepping stone to...
- Paving the Windows XP Migration Path to Success Support for Windows XP has ended, leaving organizations with three choices: Windows 8, Windows 7 or a combination. With the right planning and...
- Increase Your Data Center IQ Discover how to improve network efficiency, lower IT costs and more proactively manage your physical, virtual and cloud environments.
- Optimize Data Center Resources and Plan for the Future Eliminate over-provisioning and capacity shortfalls with pro-active capacity optimization. Join us in the evolution from capacity monitoring to capacity optimization in your data... All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts