Facebook returns after brief widespread outage
Unknown problem hits website as users complain on Twitter
IDG News Service - Facebook's website went down temporarily on Thursday, showing an error screen when users attempted to log on to the social network.
"Sorry, something went wrong. We're working on getting this fixed as soon as we can," read the error message, which was displayed on a nearly blank screen.
The outage lasted about 30 minutes before the network was available again. It affected users in at least two continents - Europe and Asia - but may have been global.
Facebook said in an emailed statement it experienced a short downtime and is now back up. "I cannot provide details," a Facebook spokeswoman said.
Twitter users tweeted complaints or joked about the outage with the hashtag "#facebookdown."
"Productivity worldwide raises 99999% since #facebookdown," quipped Twitter user Christian Seel.
The social network, which claims over 800 million daily active users, had a service problem last October, when network maintenance prevented users from posting status updates.
(Loek Essers in Amsterdam contributed to this report)
- Social Media Education: The New Edge for Success Failure to train for social media will cost your business money. A recent report showed how digitally prepared companies can unlock up to...
- Social Media in Technology: A Unified Strategy for Success Find out how social media is sparking a new era of customer and industry-understanding in technology enterprises and how industry leaders are overcoming...
- How Network Connections Drive Web Application Performance Users around the globe, on all sorts of devices, expect Web applications to function as seamlessly as desktop applications. This paper discusses the...
- Big Data, Big Mess: Sound Risk Intelligence Through Complete Context This paper examines the insecurity of the small businesses in the supply chain and offers tips to close those backdoors into the enterprise.
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All Internet White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!