Facebook returns after brief widespread outage
Unknown problem hits website as users complain on Twitter
IDG News Service - Facebook's website went down temporarily on Thursday, showing an error screen when users attempted to log on to the social network.
"Sorry, something went wrong. We're working on getting this fixed as soon as we can," read the error message, which was displayed on a nearly blank screen.
The outage lasted about 30 minutes before the network was available again. It affected users in at least two continents - Europe and Asia - but may have been global.
Facebook said in an emailed statement it experienced a short downtime and is now back up. "I cannot provide details," a Facebook spokeswoman said.
Twitter users tweeted complaints or joked about the outage with the hashtag "#facebookdown."
"Productivity worldwide raises 99999% since #facebookdown," quipped Twitter user Christian Seel.
The social network, which claims over 800 million daily active users, had a service problem last October, when network maintenance prevented users from posting status updates.
(Loek Essers in Amsterdam contributed to this report)
- Capabilities You Need in an IP Address Management Solution A mismanaged IP space can cripple an otherwise healthy network. Take a moment to understand what you need in an enterprise-ready IPAM solution.
- IPv6 Fundamentals IPv6 is needed to sustain the growth of the Internet. The transition from IPv4 will require planning and likely some degree of support...
- 3G/4G Digital Signage Guide Today, the widespread availability of 3G and 4G cellular or wireless broadband networks enables digital signage to be deployed virtually anywhere.
- Enterprises in Motion: In-Vehicle Networks In a world where traditional tethers to the central office have all but vanished, enterprises that operate vehicle fleets require constant and dependable...
- Accelerate your innovation with IBM Bluemix™ Join us for a webcast introducing the new IBM BluemixTM. IBM Bluemix (www.bluemix.net) is a developer oriented Platform as a Service (PaaS) environment...
- Maximizing Availability for the Modern Data Center Check out this information-packed resource center for help in maximizing the availability of your data center - from overcoming challenges to choosing the... All Internet White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!