Amazon CTO says business unaffected by Snowden revelations
Business overseas is as strong as ever, Werner Vogels says
IDG News Service - Breaking with other players in the IT industry, Amazon's CTO has downplayed any impact of the Edward Snowden revelations on its international business.
Cisco and a few other vendors have complained that revelations about surveillance by the National Security Agency have eroded trust in U.S. technology firms overseas, harming their businesses. Cisco CEO John Chambers even complained to President Barack Obama, after reports that the NSA had intercepted routers en route to customers to plant surveillance tools.
Those concerns haven't affected Amazon and may even have helped the company, according to Vogels, because it leads to a conversation about the security of its platform.
He maintained that Amazon security tools like Cloud HSM allow customers to protect access to their data. "if you encrypt your data, you're the one who has full control over it," he said.
That seems an oversimplification, however, given the revelations about how the NSA has interfered with encryption standards.
Still, Vogels said 70 percent of the top 40 public companies in France use Amazon Web Services.
The CIA is a customer, too. Vogels was asked if the intelligence agency's $600 million contract with AWS gets it access to a "private cloud" -- or hardware that's not shared with other customers.
Vogels was reluctant to discuss the deal but seemed to confirm it does. "I'd call it a members only cloud," he said.
Asked if further regulation to harmonize data protection laws globally seems inevitable, Vogels said any disruption from regulations can be minimized through good design.
"I've yet to see a privacy regulation that can't be met by following good architecture principles," he said.
But ultimately, Vogels said, security tools provide better protection in the cloud than laws and regulations. "If someone [wants to] break into your house, you don't need a good lawyer, you need a good lock," he said.
- Troubleshooting Common Issues in VoIP Learn more about Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), including common VoIP metrics used, best practices in VoIP management and tips and tricks for...
- IDG Research Survey: Are you Paying Too Much for Your NMS? Feel like you're paying too much for network monitoring? You're not alone. This survey brief summarizes findings from research recently fielded by IDG...
- 2013 Network Management Software (NMS) Buyers Guide This white paper contains an independent comparison study of six different network management solutions and provides guidance on how you can choose the...
- Rightsizing Your Network Performance Management Solution: 4 Case Studies This white paper discusses challenges encountered as organizations search for the most cost-effective network performance management solution.
- Tips to Simplify Database Administration and Development Make your job easier while getting the most from the leading productivity tool for database professionals. Learn tips from Dell Software's Oracle® ACE,...
- E-Signature RFP Checklist Webcast If your organization is looking to adopt e-signatures, you may be overwhelmed by the number of providers that offer seemingly similar solutions. How... All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!