Update: Amazon unveils its new Fire smartphone
The device has a 4.7-in. screen and a 13-megapixel camera
Computerworld - It's official. Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos today unveiled the Fire phone at a special event at the company's headquarters in Seattle, Wash.
The device sports a 4.7-in. screen, a 2.2GHz quad-core processor, 2GB of RAM and a 13-megapixel camera. Bezos also noted that Amazon will offer free, unlimited storage in the cloud for photos.
The Fire phone will also have a Mayday button for quick connection to customer support.
Bezos talked up a prominent feature on the phone called Firefly, which allows the device's camera to recognize a variety of objects such as books and images such as barcodes or phone numbers on signs.
Firefly, which has its own dedicated button for quick access, can also recognize TV shows and audio tracks.
Developing story. More to come.
Read more about Smartphones in Computerworld's Smartphones Topic Center.
- Tips for Driving User Adoption in New Technology Deployment Read this checklist on tips for driving user adoption to see where you stand.
- Comprehensive Advanced Threat Defense The hot topic in the information security industry these days is "Advanced Threat Defense" (ATD). This paper describes a comprehensive, network-based approach to...
- Advanced Threat Defense: A Comprehensive Approach In this interview, Peter George, president, General Dynamics Fidelis Cybersecurity Solutions, explains why we need more than anti-malware, and what constitutes a comprehensive...
- Market Overview: Digital Customer Experience Delivery Platforms Forrester states that businesses today struggle to understand and use the tools necessary to create and manage unified, multichannel digital customer experiences across...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All Smartphones White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!