Update: Amazon unveils its new Fire smartphone
The device has a 4.7-in. screen and a 13-megapixel camera
Computerworld - It's official. Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos today unveiled the Fire phone at a special event at the company's headquarters in Seattle, Wash.
The device sports a 4.7-in. screen, a 2.2GHz quad-core processor, 2GB of RAM and a 13-megapixel camera. Bezos also noted that Amazon will offer free, unlimited storage in the cloud for photos.
The Fire phone will also have a Mayday button for quick connection to customer support.
Bezos talked up a prominent feature on the phone called Firefly, which allows the device's camera to recognize a variety of objects such as books and images such as barcodes or phone numbers on signs.
Firefly, which has its own dedicated button for quick access, can also recognize TV shows and audio tracks.
Developing story. More to come.
Read more about Smartphones in Computerworld's Smartphones Topic Center.
- Tips for Driving User Adoption in New Technology Deployment Read this checklist on tips for driving user adoption to see where you stand.
- Capabilities You Need in an IP Address Management Solution A mismanaged IP space can cripple an otherwise healthy network. Take a moment to understand what you need in an enterprise-ready IPAM solution.
- IPv6 Fundamentals IPv6 is needed to sustain the growth of the Internet. The transition from IPv4 will require planning and likely some degree of support...
- Optimize IT Performance & Availability: Four Steps to Establish Effective IT Management Baselines More than ever before, your company's ability to grow hinges on IT performance and availability. Download this how-to report on establishing IT baselines,...
- Accelerate your innovation with IBM Bluemix™ Join us for a webcast introducing the new IBM BluemixTM. IBM Bluemix (www.bluemix.net) is a developer oriented Platform as a Service (PaaS) environment...
- Maximizing Availability for the Modern Data Center Check out this information-packed resource center for help in maximizing the availability of your data center - from overcoming challenges to choosing the... All Smartphones White Papers | Webcasts