Readers rant about IT worker who trained H1-B replacement
Readers question the need for the H-1B program; we answer some questions about the visa
Computerworld - The story of A. B. and the training of the IT worker's H-1B replacement struck a chord with Computerworld readers. It provided an opportunity for them to vent, argue and share their views about the visa and its impact on U.S. workers.
More than 3,400 people commented on the story, and many sent in emails as well. There were a number of major themes in these responses.
Four of them follow:
One: "There was never actually a rule that they (an employer) had to prove there was no qualified American." Aging Hipster.
Aging Hipster is correct. There is no requirement that companies try to find a qualified U.S. worker before filling a position with an H-1B visa holder.
The U.S. Labor Dept. writes: "The H-1B employer is not required to recruit U.S. workers, unless it is H-1B-dependent."
What does H-1B "dependent" mean? A firm that has 51 or more full-time equivalent employees of whom 15% or more are H-1B visa holder is classified as dependent.
H-1B dependent employers, which include all the major offshore outsourcing providers, "must take good faith steps to recruit U.S. workers for any job for which they seek H-1B workers," according to the Labor Dept. But there are loopholes.
H-1B dependent firms can sidestep the "good faith" hiring rule if they pay their visa-holding workers at least $60,000, or hire a foreign engineer holding an advanced degree.
H-1B workers must be paid the prevailing wage, but the employer that brings in an offshore firm will pay a blended rate that accounts for the differences in U.S. and overseas salaries. Employees overseas are typically paid a fraction of a U.S. salary.
At the start of a contract an offshore outsourcing firm may bring in quite a few H-1B workers to a worksite, but the long-term goal will be to have about 20% of the workers onshore, and 80% offshore. These percentages can vary widely depending on the type of work.
Two: "Sadly, this is all too common." JPRZ.
JPRZ is correct. Offshore outsourcing firms are taking more than 50% of the annual base H-1B visa cap of 65,000. Another 20,000 visas are set aside for advanced degree graduates of U.S. schools.
The two largest H-1B users in 2013 were both Indian-based -- Infosys and Tata Consultancy Services.
Three: "I want these visas eliminated." Email.
A middle aged Florida woman, who believes she lost her telecom job to an H-1B visa holder, wrote to U.S. Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) about last year's immigration bill that passed in the Senate. In response to A.B.'s story, she shared her correspondence.
The woman asked for anonymity to avoid jeopardizing her job search.
- U.S. Senator blasts Microsoft's H-1B push as it lays off 18,000 workers
- Court case offers a peek at how H-1B-fueled discrimination works
- Obama has big options for green card, H-1B reform without Congress
- An H-1B whistleblower tries again for justice
- If immigration reform is dead, so is raising the H-1B cap
- Many comments on new H-1B rule, but few are 'unique'
- Readers rant about IT worker who trained H1-B replacement
- Cantor, a reliable 'yes' vote for raising the H-1B visa cap, is unseated
- This IT worker had to train an H-1B replacement
- An H-1B cap hike would mean a grim future for workers
- 5 Ways Dropbox for Business Keeps Your Data Protected Protecting your data isn't a feature on a checklist, something to be tacked on as an afterthought. Download here to find out how...
- What is this "File Sync" Thing and Why Should I Care About It? All of a sudden, getting a file from your work laptop to your iPad became as simple as clicking "Save." So it's no...
- The Keys to Securing Data in a Collaborative Workplace Losing data is costly. IT professionals have spent years learning how to protect their organizations from hackers, but how do you ward off...
- Evaluating File Sync and Share Solutions: 12 Questions to Ask about Security File sync and share can increase productivity, but how do you pick a solution that works for you? Download to learn some important...
- Charting Your Analytical Future - "Making predictive analytics part of your business processes" Webinar This session will show how predictive analytics can be used throughout the organization by anyone looking for answers and how organizations can make...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success! All IT Outsourcing White Papers | Webcasts