Facebook takes aim at Snapchat with new Slingshot app
The app is geared toward photo and video sharing with larger groups of people
IDG News Service - Facebook has launched a new photo- and video-sharing app called Slingshot that's aimed squarely at popular cool-kid Snapchat.
Slingshot lets users take photos and videos that disappear in the app after they've been viewed and swiped away. Facebook is starting to roll it out Tuesday in the U.S. for iOS and Android.
Slingshot works a bit differently than Snapchat. It lets people send photo and video messages that disappear after a certain period of time. But unlike Snapchat, Slingshot requires the recipient to "sling" something back before they can view what they've been sent.
"With Slingshot, we wanted to build something where everybody is a creator and nobody is just a spectator," Facebook said in its announcement.
"Friends won't be able to see your shot until they sling something back to you. They can then reply with a reaction--or simply swipe your shot away," Facebook says.
That could make Facebook's app more interactive, but it could also turn users off who don't want to send a messages just to see what they've received.
Facebook is taking direct aim at Snapchat, even calling the company out in its announcement. "We've enjoyed using Snapchat to send each other ephemeral messages and expect there to be a variety of apps that explore this new way of sharing," it said.
Snapchat has been a bit of an annoyance to Facebook. Last year, the social network reportedly offered US$3 billion to buy Snapchat but it turned them down.
In 2012 Facebook launched Poke, an alternative to Snapchat, but it never took off the way Snapchat did.
Slingshot could provide a fun, new way for Facebook users to message each other. But could also be too little, too late. Time will tell.
Snapchat released a new tool of its own on Tuesday for sharing photos with larger groups of people, geared toward public events. It was unclear of the timing was a coincidence.
- Social Media Education: The New Edge for Success Failure to train for social media will cost your business money. A recent report showed how digitally prepared companies can unlock up to...
- Social Media in Technology: A Unified Strategy for Success Find out how social media is sparking a new era of customer and industry-understanding in technology enterprises and how industry leaders are overcoming...
- Printer Installer: Eliminating Print Servers Printer Installer is an on-premise web application that enables you to centrally manage and deploy Windows shared or direct iP printers.
- How Network Connections Drive Web Application Performance Users around the globe, on all sorts of devices, expect Web applications to function as seamlessly as desktop applications. This paper discusses the...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All Internet White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!