Tip of the Hat: An inside look at the fall of Mozilla CEO Brendan Eich
CNET's Stephen Shankland reports that gay marriage opposition wasn't the only reason for Eich's departure after nine days as head of Mozilla
Computerworld - Brendan Eich's ignominious departure from Mozilla this spring wasn't, as most of us think, due only to his opposition to gay marriage.
Yes, that was the straw that broke the camel's back. But the board that named him CEO was never sure that Eich, one of the world's top technologists, had the skills to run an organization, especially one as complex as Mozilla.
Computerworld gives a Tip of the Hat to CNET reporter Stephen Shankland for his close look at Eich's brief reign as CEO, and the multiple reasons for his departure.
In the story, Mozilla under fire: Inside the nine-day reign of fallen CEO Brendan Eich, Shankland points out that "Mozilla's board struggled to find a new CEO, settled hesitantly on Eich, and didn't support him strongly. The gay-marriage issue may just have accelerated a falling-out that would have happened anyway."
With details from sources inside and outside the company, Shankland provides a close look at the difficulties Mozilla's board had in deciding to hire a "brilliant but distant" chief technology officer to lead a company that needs, Chairwoman Mitchell Baker told Shankland, "a skill set that is an odd mix."
The calls for his resignation by employees, users and rights groups over his stance on gay marriage pushed the board into making a quick decision to let the Mozilla co-founder and key developer of many of its products depart, notes Shankland.
Read more about IT Leadership in Computerworld's IT Leadership Topic Center.
- Market Overview: Digital Customer Experience Delivery Platforms Forrester states that businesses today struggle to understand and use the tools necessary to create and manage unified, multichannel digital customer experiences across...
- Enabling Unified Service Delivery Management With the nGeniusONE Platform Today's IT organizations manage diverse business services comprising a host of applications running on many server farms within the data center.
- Transform Your Data Center from Basic to Strategic by Increasing Operational Efficiency and Optimizing Intelligence Find out how data center and facilities management are able to use DCIM solutions and a pioneering "zone" approach to bridge the information...
- Cloud storage is strategically inevitable Economic pressures continue to drive much of the IT agenda while, at the same time, executives are demanding that IT incorporate new and...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Zoning in on Energy and Physical Infrastructure Management In this Webcast you will learn how to develop and execute a strategy to optimize the energy efficiency of your data center. All IT Leadership White Papers | Webcasts