Google hit with new antitrust complaint in Europe
Complaint alleges anticompetitive behavior in the app market, E.U. official confirms
IDG News Service - Google has been hit with yet another antitrust complaint in Europe, this time for alleged anticompetitive behavior in the app market, the European Union's top competition authority confirmed Tuesday.
The formal complaint was filed by Aptoide, a Portuguese startup in the apps sector, according to officials at EU Competition Commissioner Joaquin Almunia's office.
Aptoide runs an independent apps store for Android smartphones. It claims that Google is leveraging its dominant position in the Android market to control the market for Android apps.
"For no reason, Google regularly suspends Aptoide from appearing on Google Play thereby depriving the start-up of accessing consumers and vice versa," Aptoide said in a statement released Tuesday.
Google is already the subject of other EU antitrust complaints. The European Commission, which carries out antitrust investigations, will deal with each complaint separately.
One of the other complaints, filed last year by major companies such as Microsoft and Oracle, alleges that Google packages apps such as Maps and YouTube in a way that disadvantages other providers, and puts Google in control of consumer data on a majority of smartphones.
(More to come.)
- Big Data, Big Mess: Sound Risk Intelligence Through Complete Context This paper examines the insecurity of the small businesses in the supply chain and offers tips to close those backdoors into the enterprise.
- Using Cyber Insurance and Cybercrime Data to Limit Your Business Risk This paper examines the challenges of understanding cyber risks, the importance of having the right cyber risk intelligence, and how to use this...
- 5 Tips to Secure Small Business Backdoors in the Enterprise Supply Chain This paper examines the insecurity of the small businesses in the supply chain and offers tips to close those backdoors into the enterprise.
- Confront consumerization with convergence Virtualization expert Elias Khnaser spotlights the security, compliance, and governance issues that arise when enterprise users "consumerize" with shadow IT and public cloud...
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All Legal White Papers | Webcasts