Salesforce targets Zendesk, Freshdesk with updated Desk.com app
Desk.com customers can 'grow' along with Salesforce.com, unlike rivals, according to an executive
IDG News Service - Salesforce.com wants to be the go-to option when small and medium-sized businesses decide they need better customer support software, with a series of updates to its Desk.com application.
Desk.com is the result of Salesforce.com's 2011 acquisition of Assistly and is the SMB alternative to its Sales Cloud support software suite, which is aimed at big companies.
While Desk.com can stack up feature-for-feature with the likes of Freshdesk and Zendesk, Salesforce.com's real edge lies in the fact that "we can grow with our customers," said Leyla Seka, general manager and senior vice president at Desk.com. "We can take our customers anywhere they want to go. That's something no other point solution on the market can say."
"The worst thing in the world is when you're growing [a company] at a fast clip and then you have to switch out an important operational system," Seka added.
Desk.com caters to small companies that want to reach customers across multiple channels, whether email, live chat or social media, while getting the system up and running quickly.
The Desk.com updates announced Tuesday include a revamped console for support agents. Beta customers have reported their agents are closing cases three times faster than before, according to Seka.
Improvements include the ability for an agent to tweak the console screen's layout to their liking, as well as the introduction of macro actions. For example, an agent faced with a stack of similar customer inquiries, such as for a password reset, can select the entire group and fire off a boilerplate response containing instructions, rather than go into each case and do the same thing repeatedly.
The new Desk.com also provides a series of case filters, helping agents prioritize cases based on factors such as their urgency level and length of time in existence.
Salesforce.com was careful not to design the updates for speed alone, according to Seka. "Agent productivity at the expense of customer satisfaction is not what we're going for," she said. "Agents are going faster and they're doing it right the first time."
Other updates include a new mobile application and an improved reporting engine. With the latter, Desk.com users can identify trends in customer complaints, pinpoint what types of content are most helpful in resolving cases, and monitor how well their support agents are performing.
In addition, the Desk.com upgrade features an improved self-service portal that includes predictive answers to questions, albeit pulled from a knowledge base that Desk.com customers must do the work to pre-populate.
Finally, a tenfold increase in API (application-programming-interface) granularity in the new release means it will now also be easier for companies to integrate with other applications, if desired.
- 2014 Gartner Magic Quadrant Report For the 7th year in a row, Riverbed is in the "Leaders" Quadrant of the 2014 Magic Quadrant for WAN Optimization Controllers. In...
- Improving Business Value of WAN Optimization Want to achieve faster ROI with WAN optimization? Read the latest IDC report and discover how you can cut IT costs without compromising...
- IDC ROI Infographic Trends such as evolving communication patterns, connection types, applications and bandwidth can have an impact on enterprise organizations. Learn how IT organizations can...
- Riverbed Optimization System: Technical Overview View now>>
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to...
- Why do you need an enterprise mobile platform? Today companies must offer great apps that run on a range of devices, and connect to an exploding set of backend data. Appcelerator... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts