Level 3 to buy TW Telecom for $5.7B to upgrade metro coverage
Customers of both operators will benefit from the combined long-haul and metro networks, companies say
IDG News Service - Level 3 Communication is buying TW Telecom for approximately $5.7 billion in an effort to boost its metropolitan footprint of fixed networks.
The two operators are highly complementary, according to Level 3. The combination of the two companies creates a stronger, more nimble competitor, it said Monday.
Level 3 said its customers will benefit from TW Telecom's "deep metropolitan footprint and buildings connected to the network," resulting in faster and more reliable fixed broadband connections in the U.S. Meanwhile, TW Telecom's customers will be able to take advantage of Level 3's backbone networks and data centers in more than 60 countries as well as global subsea networks, it said.
Integrating two operators with big network assets is never easy. Level 3 and TW expect to benefit from their close geographic proximity and previous integration experience. Level 3 is based in Broomfield, Colorado, and TW in Littleton, Colorado.
The two companies have entered into a definitive agreement valued at $40.86 per share of TW Telecom common stock or approximately $7.3 billion, including about $1.6 billion of net debt as of the end of March.
Shareholders will receive $10 cash and 0.7 shares of Level 3 common stock for each share of TW Telecom that is owned at closing.
The transaction is expected to close in the fourth quarter.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org<
- Virtually Delivered High Performance 3D Graphics "A picture is worth a thousand words." That old phrase is as true today as it ever was. Pictures (i.e., those with heavy...
- Who does NSS Labs "Recommend" for NGFW? In 2012, NSS Labs found that most available NGFW solutions "fell short in performance and security effectiveness." In 2013 NSS Labs noted "marked...
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- Improving Business Value of WAN Optimization Want to achieve faster ROI with WAN optimization? Read the latest IDC report and discover how you can cut IT costs without compromising...
- Live Webcast IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency...
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different....
- IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency... All Networking White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!