Citing strong PC demand, Intel boosts Q2 revenue expectations
The stronger demand could be because of the Windows XP PC upgrade cycle, an analyst says
IDG News Service - Spurred by stronger demand for business PCs than expected, Intel raised its revenue guidance for this quarter.
Intel now expects quarterly revenue of US$13.7 billion, plus or minus $300 million, it said Thursday. The company's previous guidance was $13 billion, plus or minus $500 million, for the quarter.
With PC shipments declining in recent quarters, the revenue guidance upgrade came as a mild surprise to Dean McCarron, principal analyst at Mercury Research.
More businesses are upgrading old Windows XP PCs, which could be a factor in the changed guidance, McCarron said.
"There is a lot of activity on the small-business side," McCarron said.
Microsoft's support for Windows XP ended in April, prompting businesses to buy PCs with newer OSes. PC shipments declined by 4.4 percent in the first quarter of this year, compared to the same quarter last year, according to IDC.
PC sales were weak last quarter and shipments of units may have carried over to the second quarter, McCarron said. That points to a better-than-expected second quarter in PC shipments, but the "XP effect" could be a one-off event with no long-term effect on Intel's earnings, McCarron said.
"It's something to keep an eye on," McCarron said.
Intel will report its second-quarter earnings on July 15.
- 2014 Gartner Magic Quadrant Report For the 7th year in a row, Riverbed is in the "Leaders" Quadrant of the 2014 Magic Quadrant for WAN Optimization Controllers. In...
- Transforming Business Performance with Hybrid Networks IT organizations globally are faced with the challenge to transform network architectures to deliver the right performance and reliability cost-effectively while retaining control....
- Accelerating the Delivery Microsoft Office 365 Many organizations use Office 365's cloud-based mail, collaboration and communication services as the dominant workload. However, as services move to the cloud, data...
- Path Selection Infographic Path selection technology provides the ability to re-direct select traffic and application flows through alternate WAN routes based on service metrics, such as...
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All PCs White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!