Skype app for iPhone due out from Microsoft today
But years of disappointment with the iPhone Skype app have undoubtedly led many users to switch to other options long ago
IDG News Service - Microsoft promises that a revamped Skype app for the iPhone will be significantly better than the current version, although it may be too late for users who have long since switched to other options.
Microsoft is hoping users will be lured back, saying that version 5.0 of the IM, audio/video communications and IP telephony app, due out Thursday, has been rebuilt from the ground up. The company pledges it is faster and more stable than the old version, and that its user interface has been redesigned to make it simpler and more fluid.
"We're excited for you to see how the new app has been redesigned to put your conversations first, providing you with a smoother, leaner and more integrated experience," wrote Microsoft official Gary Wong in a blog post.
Microsoft is also promising that Skype 5.0 for iPhone will stay synchronized with users' other instances of Skype on other platforms, so that, for example, read messages won't appear elsewhere as unread, a major complaint with the previous version of the app.
Last week, Microsoft gave a sneak peek at some of the app's major enhancements, including smoother scrolling among screens and the ability to send messages and photos to users who are offline.
Apparently, Microsoft plans to speed up the pace of improvements for the app going forward. "Skype 5.0 for iPhone is just the beginning of a new Skype experience on iPhone," Wong wrote, a statement that's in line with the company's strategic shift under new CEO Satya Nadella to make sure its software products work well on non-Windows platforms.
Skype 5.0 for iPhone requires iOS 7 or a later version. An iPad edition of the app is in the works.
Juan Carlos Perez covers enterprise communication/collaboration suites, operating systems, browsers and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Juan on Twitter at @JuanCPerezIDG.
- Use the Mobile App Mix to Choose an Enterprise App Store Strategy In this research report Gartner outlines how organizations can optimally secure, distribute, and manage mobile applications for employees and contracted workers.
- The Case for Mobile Apps Today's mobile apps turn handheld devices into e-book readers, portable navigation systems, digital wallets and more. And for organizations with mobile workers, they...
- The 5 Big Lies About Going Mobile You've heard about the power of mobile to change your business. But have you realized your mobile potential? It's about much more than...
- Transforming enterprise applications for mobile environments This new white paper explains how Dell Application Modernization and Development Solution Set can help you understand when to develop new mobile apps,...
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different....
- Why Are Customers Really Deploying an NGFW? It seems every IT Security expert is talking about the NGFW, but what are people really doing? This webcast covers 5 real-world customer... All Mobile Apps White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!