Skype app for iPhone due out from Microsoft today
But years of disappointment with the iPhone Skype app have undoubtedly led many users to switch to other options long ago
IDG News Service - Microsoft promises that a revamped Skype app for the iPhone will be significantly better than the current version, although it may be too late for users who have long since switched to other options.
Microsoft is hoping users will be lured back, saying that version 5.0 of the IM, audio/video communications and IP telephony app, due out Thursday, has been rebuilt from the ground up. The company pledges it is faster and more stable than the old version, and that its user interface has been redesigned to make it simpler and more fluid.
"We're excited for you to see how the new app has been redesigned to put your conversations first, providing you with a smoother, leaner and more integrated experience," wrote Microsoft official Gary Wong in a blog post.
Microsoft is also promising that Skype 5.0 for iPhone will stay synchronized with users' other instances of Skype on other platforms, so that, for example, read messages won't appear elsewhere as unread, a major complaint with the previous version of the app.
Last week, Microsoft gave a sneak peek at some of the app's major enhancements, including smoother scrolling among screens and the ability to send messages and photos to users who are offline.
Apparently, Microsoft plans to speed up the pace of improvements for the app going forward. "Skype 5.0 for iPhone is just the beginning of a new Skype experience on iPhone," Wong wrote, a statement that's in line with the company's strategic shift under new CEO Satya Nadella to make sure its software products work well on non-Windows platforms.
Skype 5.0 for iPhone requires iOS 7 or a later version. An iPad edition of the app is in the works.
Juan Carlos Perez covers enterprise communication/collaboration suites, operating systems, browsers and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Juan on Twitter at @JuanCPerezIDG.
- Vehicles Best Practices Installation Guide With the Vehicle Best Practices Installation Guide you will learn the background on the problems and solutions as well as guidance for the...
- Use the Mobile App Mix to Choose an Enterprise App Store Strategy In this research report Gartner outlines how organizations can optimally secure, distribute, and manage mobile applications for employees and contracted workers.
- Mobile Device Management Policy Best Practices This white paper explores ten policy best-practices for secure and compliant enterprise mobility.
- Mobile Data Security: Finding the Balance Bring Your Own Device has changed the rules for corporate security on smartphones and tablets. Companies need to find the right balance in...
- Managing a Mobile Workforce Learn how this biotechnology company used a mobile device management solution to help secure data accessed by over 125 employees globally.
- Sametime 9.0 Demo Showcasing a simplified user interface for desktop, web and mobile clients, IBM® Sametime® V9.0 is energizing today's enterprise with high definition, real-time communications. All Mobile Apps White Papers | Webcasts